Sharing Coax ?

Bosco10021

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
At the beach
I currently have Directv and now seriously considering getting Starchoice.

I would like to possibly keep my Directv, add StarChoice and "share" the 4 coaxes coming from the dish into my prewired home. Is there anyway to do this ?

I would only turn the power on to one receiver at a time...never a reason for both being on.

If this is possible, please tell me what I would need.

Thanks in advance for any members help.

Hmmmm..........no. Don't think so. Even though you'd only be powering one receiver at a time they'd both be putting out a voltage to the LNBs. That's just the first issue you'd run into. Also, Star Choice uses a 22Khz switching system to switch between two LNBs and I'm not sure if Direct Tv uses that or not, have no experience with them. So it'd be a power struggle between the two recievers (or how ever many you're using or plan to use). Also for the same reason you can't just put a splitter inline and split a single LNB...........anything else. I'm sure there are many other reasons why it wouldn't work but the ones I've listed are pretty compelling.........RG6 is relatively inexpensive although once you start running that many lines into your abode it gets harder and harder to make it look neat and tidy.

Now if you planned on unplugging the unit(s) not in use it MIGHT work..........although you couldn't say run one direct tv and one star choice......you may be able to run 2 (or more) of the same brand unit.......but again, not too sure.

FWIW, D* does indeed use a 22khz signal to switch LNBs, and what Inno says about the power being on even when the receivers are 'off' is right on. You could try to put in a flter to block the 22khz on one receiver, and let the other change the LNBs, not too sure how that'd go over.

Last edited:
More coax.......you can never have enough coax........lol I just ran a 6th line in this evening........probably gonna need at least one more before I'm done.........maybe 2 if I do an OTA antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)