Shaw Direct cracking down on account sharing?

twobelowpar

Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Ontario
A few weeks ago a buddy of mine told me a SD tech showed up at his dad's house (main account holder) to do some kind of upgrade. He could tell they were splitting and basically warned them any other receivers on the account won't work properly anymore. Sure enough his channels are mostly gone. I'm doing the same thing with my folks (I know I know, it's sketchy, but it's either that or neither of us subscribe). Anyway, is this a subscriber-wide thing going on? Should I expect a tech to show up without warning and want to see my receivers? If I have to shut down their receiver (and maybe mine), so be it. I'm just wondering if they're cracking down somehow.

What you would have to do is make sure all receivers at all residences are running the new xku LNB that way they would all be using the same V-Code. That's the only reason a tech would show up is to swap your old LNB for the new one, then they can tell if all receivers are on the same vcode.

I'd be real hesitant to let somebody in that just dropped by.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would guess that the SD Tech was there for a Service Call made to add the new xKU LNBF and that the account Holder did not think about the fact he was 'Account Splitting' and the consequences when he made the call to get more HD Channels.

Shaw are tightening up on this and the Home Away From Home program.

Bell TV actually call you on the phone and you must give details of every receiver on the account during that phone call or they can and will disconnect any receivers you can't verify with them.

Okay that's sort of what I thought. That it was the LNB thing. But my buddy seemed convinced it was something else. Anyway, my parents and I have the same LNB because I moved and got a new dish a year and a half ago and made sure they bought the new LNB to match mine. Haven't had a problem since and we're both getting the new HD stuff too.

I agree. I wouldn't want some random tech dropping in either! I wonder if I was getting all the right facts or not.

All you have to do is go thru a dealer and not Shaw them self. As a few Canadian dealers I know will sell you a xku LNB for $50 (with no invoice of course) and come & install it for you. I'd do that at the secondary residences first.

The cost is more than that. You are looking at minimum $60 -$65 depending on dealer.

All you have to do is go thru a dealer and not Shaw them self. As a few Canadian dealers I know will sell you a xku LNB for $50 (with no invoice of course) and come & install it for you. I'd do that at the secondary residences first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)