Sharing recordings between VIP receivers...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slusig

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I am thinking about getting a second HDTV soon. While I like the 622 quite a bit, I can't see myself spending the money to lease another one or to buy one out-right. Which means I'll probably end up with a 211.

Has there been any discussion about adding the ability to view recordings from a 622 on the 211 (or other VIP receivers) using ethernet?

With the rumors of "DishONLINE" going live in February, it seems like sharing shows between VIP receivers is technically possible and with competition from cable and telcom companies to offer a "networked home", it seems like this has to be something Dish is considering.

Are there any legal reasons for not allowing this to happen?

DISH Online's main purpose is to cut down phone line connectivity issues with customers allowing multiple receivers to "communicate" a single one that is hooked up. There's currently no technology announced to allow DVRs to transfer programming, hence the very loud outcry for an external HDD.

No, Dish Online is the internet connection to allow VOD, and perhaps bill paying and other things. I forget the name of the "share one phone line" project, but it's not Dish Online. That being said, Dish Online may allow something along those lines of eliminating multiple phone line connections.

See this thread.

I'll bet that if/when external HDD storage is available that you will NOT be able to use it on anything other than the original receiver it recorded from.

No, Dish Online is the internet connection to allow VOD, and perhaps bill paying and other things. I forget the name of the "share one phone line" project, but it's not Dish Online. That being said, Dish Online may allow something along those lines of eliminating multiple phone line connections.

See this thread.

Threads are good, but my e-mail is more reliable.

Hall may be right about the other one though. Copyright this, illegal pirating that...

The one phone line thing is called DishCOMM, it used the electrical lines in the house to have all receivers coommuniate with the one plugged into a phone line.

And now we know the external storage is per account, not receiver. So you can move it to other receivers on your account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)