Sharing recordings with Hopper 3 and Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rod Williams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
My wife and I have a 2 Hopper setup. We are thinking about upgrading to a H3 and 1 Joey. We currently have a sort of his and her Hopper arrangement. What we want to know is how to avoid watching recordings conflicts, For example; She starts a recording on the H3 and watches 1/2 of a program. I later want to watch the same program in my mancave with the Joey. What options appear on the screen? If I watch the entire program, will this affect(remember) her 1/2 viewed position?
I have several questions concerning sharing with a H3 and a Joey, but rather than list all of them, can someone direct me to links that explain how they interact. We are sort of spoiled with having 2 Hoppers and not having to worry about what the other person is doing(like deleting a recording).

We too came from a his-and-hers Hopper setup. Also had a Joey for my home theater setup since we didn't use that every day. Loved that we could keep our stuff to ourselves when we wanted.

It's been a long weekend and brain is a bit fuzzy, but I believe you will be OK on the first question. Where if your wife watched 1/2 on the H3 then if you were to watch it all from the Joey when your wife picked up the show again from the H3 it would put a pop up showing both locations and which one she wanted to view (her original H3 1/2 viewed or your 100% watched Joey location). We rarely if ever share the same show watching but know if I watch things from the theater Joey then pick up from the Hopper I get the options.

For your second question, simply think of the Joey as a dumbed down H3 with no DVR storage itself. You can access the H3 for the recordings, create timers, etc... the same way as the H3 but doesn't have certain diagnostic features. Even if one does delete a recording it goes to the trash folder where you can restore it for up to five days. I will be 100% transparent and say Joeys will be a bit slower than the Hopper in accessing things like the DVR screen and apps. It's always been that way, but you get used to it.

Thank you Tron2012 for your reply. I do have another question. We have programs that we both watch, ones that she watches, and ones that I watch. What is the best way to separate the 3 groups? I don't want to be able to see all the shows she has recorded and she doesn't care to see mine either. I know I can create folders, but if I understand, you can't have folders within a folder(multiple episodes). Also, does the Hopper let you designate which folder you want to place a timer when you set it up?

Reactions: Tron2012
Thank you Tron2012 for your reply. I do have another question. We have programs that we both watch, ones that she watches, and ones that I watch. What is the best way to separate the 3 groups? I don't want to be able to see all the shows she has recorded and she doesn't care to see mine either. I know I can create folders, but if I understand, you can't have folders within a folder(multiple episodes). Also, does the Hopper let you designate which folder you want to place a timer when you set it up?
Timer options include a way to designate the folder that the recording goes to. I know of no good way to address your first concern. You definitely cannot create folders within folders nor multiple appearances of the same program/episode.

Reactions: Tron2012
xfone is correct.

I know I can create folders, but if I understand, you can't have folders within a folder (multiple episodes). Also, does the Hopper let you designate which folder you want to place a timer when you set it up?

To be clear (and with images) for anyone reading this new to Dish, a folder is something we create in the DVR list where we can store things. You can still store in the traditional "No Folder" where they all show up in one giant list in the DVR screen along with any folders you create. Once you open a folder then you cannot create folders within that folder (like xfone stated and you pointed out).

When there are multiple saved episodes of the same show you will not get a folder exactly, but you will see the show icon and a number indicating how many episodes are saved. You then can open that show tile and see the list. Basically they took the best of the way the old interface worked and made it a lot less complex with different grouping options. Pretty much the same thing as the old interface. Just different icons.

Main DVR LIst.jpg My Folder.jpg Episodes.jpg

Editing a timer:
Edit 1.jpg Edit 2.jpg

Reactions: xfoneguy
Tron2012, Is there a way to make all recordings set up from the HWS go to Jeanine's folder, and likewise to Jim folder on Joey?
Dan

Tron2012, Is there a way to make all recordings set up from the HWS go to Jeanine's folder, and likewise to Jim folder on Joey?

Unfortunately, no. You have to set the folder per timer created. The default timer setting on the Hopper or Joey does not have the option to set a default folder for all recordings. Been discussed as an option people would like to see someday.

Personally, I think Dish does not implement this for the simple reason that in a lot of (most??) households different people may be using the Hopper and/or Joeys. If it defaults to a specific folder all the time then it may be a problem. Where kids may set a timer from let's say a Joey and then it defaults to dad's folder since it was set as the default for all recordings from that Joey. Might cause more issues since the kids will not remember to change the folder when creating their timer and then their recording(s) gets put in dad's folder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)