Sharper Image - Hammacher Schlemmer FTA ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
I was just thinking about this , with all the novelty tech gadgets that are sold by Sharper Image and Hammacher Schlemmer I'm kind of surprised they've never sold an FTA receiver with dish combo.

Just a random thought since I remember seeing several Grundig shortwave radios and other neat things at these stores over the years.

So is FTA ready for the mainstream or is it better left as a niche market for us FTA hobbyists ?

This could've been a poll question ,maybe later.... for now I'll leave it just for comments.

FWIW, I don't put shortwave radios in the same sort of market as FTA satellite reception.

When you buy a SW radio, it's pretty much a turnkey thing. Turn it on and extend the SW dipole. If you want better reception, string a long wire between two trees and connect it to the set.

Installation for an FTA antenna setup requires one to have some knowledge and skills. Or, they need access to someone who is handy.

Now, if there was a two axis motorized FTA antenna setup, that might be viable for turnkey. But you still have to deal with building penetrations for coax, etc... That would be a Hammacher Schlemmer sort of thing that costs thousands of dollars, not a Sharper Image thing.

We'll see how much longer Sharper Image lasts. Weren't they in bankruptcy?

IMO, I like the hobbyist aspect of FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts