Shaw Direct Credit Check

nusatman1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
WNY
I have had Shaw for a good number of years but my account has been closed and I was notified that if I wanted to reactivate the account they do credit checks now. Is there a way to avoid that happening since I’m “south”? This is brand new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I'd borrow someone else's phone and ask them if they care. Canada doesn't regulate TV that leaves the country like the do foreign TV entering the country.

Shaw will do a debit from a Canadian bank account, if you could somehow arrange to have one.

I’ve been using a US debit card with no problems actually. Thanks for the tip. Maybe if I set up a direct debit each month?

I have had Shaw for a good number of years but my account has been closed and I was notified that if I wanted to reactivate the account they do credit checks now. Is there a way to avoid that happening since I’m “south”? This is brand new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I've already cancelled my subscription since I'm in the "most southern provinces" or "twice south" and the G-1 sat does not reach down here.

But for several years i had my monthly bill charged to a non-Canadian credit card.

I still can't see why would they need to do a credit check if the subscriber already owns his receiver, dish, etc and the monthly bill will be charged to a credit card.

Now, if the person would get equipment from Shaw directly, leased or borrowed while he is subscribed, then a credit check would make sense.

i just glanced after a google search that Shaw's website mentioned something about a credit check, I didn't spend time reading it, but upon a quick glance, I had the impression it was related to the concept just mentioned above.

I've already cancelled my subscription since I'm in the "most southern provinces" or "twice south" and the G-1 sat does not reach down here.

But for several years i had my monthly bill charged to a non-Canadian credit card.

I still can't see why would they need to do a credit check if the subscriber already owns his receiver, dish, etc and the monthly bill will be charged to a credit card.

Now, if the person would get equipment from Shaw directly, leased or borrowed while he is subscribed, then a credit check would make sense.

i just glanced after a google search that Shaw's website mentioned something about a credit check, I didn't spend time reading it, but upon a quick glance, I had the impression it was related to the concept just mentioned above.

The Rep that I talked with said that since the account was essentially closed, that was the reason for the credit check - but I see your point too especially since I own my equipment...

I didn’t have a direct debit on my credit card before, but I’m hoping if I’m willing to make concessions they will not do the credit check and just reactivate - perhaps as a one time courtesy.

The Rep that I talked with said that since the account was essentially closed, that was the reason for the credit check - but I see your point too especially since I own my equipment...

I didn’t have a direct debit on my credit card before, but I’m hoping if I’m willing to make concessions they will not do the credit check and just reactivate - perhaps as a one time courtesy.

Here's a thought, say for example my own case, I had the service via a broker, so it was their Cdn address my name and my credit card, the account was closed a few years ago, I was refunded for a partial month or something I remember

Now if I wanted to have again a subscription with Shaw, and I would go the same way of using the broker, I would assume we would be talking about a new account, as opposed to reactivating a closed old account, I dare to say that again if I own the equipment, and my subscription service will be charged to my credit card, there would be no need for a credit check.

Not sure, but that's what I would think.........if I remember correctly Shaw even charged me a month in advance, so there was no risk at all for them, and that is how when I closed the account I ended up with a balance in my favor and eventually a refund.

Ok, I now checked the page I googled before, and it is apparently the only section on their site mentioning the need for a credit check, and yes, as I thought, it has to do with equipment,

Link below

credit check

I don’t know how my broker setup my new account but no need for a credit check and auto pay with my Visa. So I really don’t know how Shaw can charge my card when my U.S address would not match my brokered address. I bought my equipment through an Amazon seller and according to Shaw’s website buying the receivers outright there is no credit check. If you have auto pay as well I would think that no credit check would be needed.

Exactly, if you own your equipment, no need for credit check, and also in my personal experience there was no problem at all, with my credit card having a non-Cdn billing address (Shaw didn't even check on that) and the Canadian address on my account

I don’t know how my broker setup my new account but no need for a credit check and auto pay with my Visa. So I really don’t know how Shaw can charge my card when my U.S address would not match my brokered address. I bought my equipment through an Amazon seller and according to Shaw’s website buying the receivers outright there is no credit check. If you have auto pay as well I would think that no credit check would be needed.

I’m definitely going to try the auto debit each month to see if they work with me in that... I want my service back - and I do own my receivers

I got lucky last night and the guy I talked to did just that!! Back up and running again!!

That's great news, now I don't think that had to do anything with you being lucky. ;)

I get the impression that the rep just followed the process which again, if you already own your equipment, does not call for any credit check.

So, I also get the impression that the first rep you talked to, the one who mentioned the credit check, was confused, or didn't get all the facts.

Anyway, glad to read you'r set up now.

That's great news, now I don't think that had to do anything with you being lucky. ;)

I get the impression that the rep just followed the process which again, if you already own your equipment, does not call for any credit check.

So, I also get the impression that the first rep you talked to, the one who mentioned the credit check, was confused, or didn't get all the facts.

Anyway, glad to read you'r set up now.

Actually the guy who set me back up said that it was part of their policy now if it was a reconnect... and also told me straight up it depended on how seasoned a veteran was at Shaw - once I told him that I was going to do a monthly debit that was good enough for him...

Needless to say I’m glad to be up and running again

Reactions: QCK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)