Shaw Direct Moving 6 More Channels to 8PSK Modulation

QCK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Shaw Direct is moving a few more channels to 8PSK to make a little more room for HD channels c/p:

Standard Definition Channels moving to 8PSK Modulation
While our current satellite capacity allows us to carry hundreds of channels, customers are demanding more HD. To make room for future HD content, Shaw Broadcast Services is transitioning the following channels to 8PSK modulation: ATN, Odyssey, EWTN, Fairchild, SRC Edmonton and SRC Winnipeg. To ease the transition, a dual feed will be available from May 3, 2010 to June 1, 2010, after which the specified channels will be available only at their new location.
If you currently receive HD signals on any of the transponders in which these signals are relocating, you will not need to obtain new equipment to receive these SD channels in 8PSK. These moves will require a head-end visit and re-authorization from Shaw Broadcast.
Note: You will not be charged for QT and QT Plus custom and standard satellite map changes.

http://www.shawbroadcast.ca/docs/bulletins/2010_02_24_sd_signlals_8psk.pdf

willing to bet these changes are related to the shift of BTN to F2. so Oasis HD is coming, what other HD will be coming? Global (with Shaw now controlling CanWest)?

Couple of questions:

If I understand this correctly, any of the channels mentioned will no longer be able to be received on a DSR-315, once the shift is made; is that right?

Is it likely that Shaw will continue to shift SD channels to 8PSK, rendering the DSR-315 obselete in the NEAR future?

Since the DSR-319 has been discontinued, will the DSR-209 (or it's successor) be able the receive the SD channels that have been shifted?

The 209 is the only Shaw Direct SD receiver that is 8PSK capable (other than the discontinued 319).

I have heard of a couple of subs who sent in malfunctioning SD receivers and were offered either a 209 for $30 or a legacy receiver at n/c.

Talk is once the 605 is launched, the HD MPEG4 changeover will go the same way - French first, then NFLST/NHLCI followed by the movie channels.

The questions is, what are they going to do about the DSR530 owners? They have already gotten the shaft so much lately. Are they really going to migrate to MPEG-4 before a replacement MPEG-4/DVB-S2 capible DVR is realesed?

Judging by their traffic plans right now, it doesn't look like MPEG-4/DVB-S2 is coming anytime soon. I can't see why they would convert SD channels to 8PSK and move them to the same transponders as HD channels (looks like the end configuration is 3x HD channels and 1x SD Channel) if MPEG-4/DVB-S2 was around the corner.

lets get the facts here:
605 is coming
630 is on hold or cancelled
CRTC gave them till 2014 to develop extended ka band
so looks like they will convert SD channels to mpeg2 8psk
and HD ones to MPEG4 8psk dbvs2 (if the 605 is coming)
my guess is that they will migrate 530 owners to 605 or 630 (or any HD PVR they will have)
with swapping offers they do right now to malfunctioning receivers owners as they surely will extend that to non malfunctioning owners
it ain't a way to do business to me(no new sat coming) but I don't expect them to be around the corner much longer

I honestly think it will be the biggest mistake ever if Shaw Direct migrates to MPEG-4 before they can launch a MPEG-4/DVB-S2 capible DVR. I can't see many DVR530 owners going to a receiver only option (even if it's free).

Shaw is NOT going to invest in a 3rd satellite. Odds are is that they will cease operation if FreeHD successfully gets off the ground and sell satellite transponders/uplinks to FreeHD.

Shaw has made to business decision to concentrate investment on their cable customers. If the gigabyte internet tests are successful, Shaw will launch IPTV in those areas.

I honestly think it will be the biggest mistake ever if Shaw Direct migrates to MPEG-4 before they can launch a MPEG-4/DVB-S2 capible DVR. I can't see many DVR530 owners going to a receiver only option (even if it's free).
it's simple they will leave for Bell end of the story

Shaw is NOT going to invest in a 3rd satellite. Odds are is that they will cease operation if FreeHD successfully gets off the ground and sell satellite transponders/uplinks to FreeHD.
good source ?

SHAW have their cable company to run so they need a satellite infrastructure as they provide not only their cable system but also other cable providers

CRTC won't leave the satellite monopoly to Bell so yes FreeHD needs to launch

it is also true that 3 satellite companies are too much for Canada one will have

to drop and it surely won't be Bell since it's the biggest provider

but rumours for years has been that due to their piracy problem BellTV

was not profitable for Bell even with 1.5 million subs

Shaw Cable is building their own fibre delivery system.

Next to go from SD will be the Spokane nets just as soon as the Spokane to Calgary fibre feed is finished.

Nobody even knows if FreeHD will ever launch. I think what many people here are posting is just wishful thinking. Shaw will NOT sell or shut down Shaw direct/Shaw Broadcast until their system is unprofitable. Shaw Cable is still years away from having fiber delivery accross all their systems. Shaw Broadcast will be around for many years to come.

My opinion based on whats going on now is Shaw Broadcast/Shaw Direct will continue to migrate SD channels over to 8PSK in order to continue adding HD channels. They will probably compress the HD channels even more to get as many as possible (same thing Bell is doing now). My guess is they are going to find another manufacture for their PVR (Maybe Pace?) and wont begin MPEG-4 migration until 2011. Like I said before, there is no way MPEG4 is around the corner if Shaw Broadcast is moving SD channels to 8PSK and sharing transponders with HD channels. They would have to move the SD channels off the HD transponders if they were going to implement MPEG-4/DVB-S2 beceause transponders cannot have two different modulation technologies.

The fact that Shaw has not ordered the Extended Ku band satellite even after Industry Canada approval indicates that they do NOT plan to stay in the satellite business in the long run.

Telesat has been pushing Shaw on this one as this new satellite would also act as F2 ku band backup. Shaw has always seen satellite as a cash cow to help finance cable infrastructure. That's why the continual price increases with the the same crappy hardware and the same lack of bandwidth.

So if Shaw gets out of the Sattelite biz, how long until that happens? 1,2,3,4 years?

Will that mean my current 505 system will become useless or will it get transferred to FreeHD??? Will Shaw simply sell my account to FreeHD???

Those are all good questions. No one really knows but as being the end user it would be typical to get the short end of the stick. I'm almost 100% certian the Shaw Direct receivers will not be used for freeHDcanada if they ever do get up and running. Really we would be better off with new equipment anyway. The biggest concern if Shaw gets out and freecanadaHD gets up and running is will they keep the same footprint that we have now or will they adjust the beam to focus more on Canada like Bell TV did with Nimiq4. They want to do spotbeam locals so they will need another satellite to do that. Hopefully they would still have a East and West (Toronto/Vancouver) national feeds in HD as well. We will just have to wait and see what unfolds.

Last edited:
So if Shaw gets out of the Sattelite biz, how long until that happens? 1,2,3,4 years?

Will that mean my current 505 system will become useless or will it get transferred to FreeHD??? Will Shaw simply sell my account to FreeHD???

my two cents: Shaw Direct is an offshoot of Shaw Broadcast services and an added revenue stream (basically bonus money). As long as SBS continues to provide signals to cable headends, Shaw Direct will be around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)