Shaw Direct receiver questions!

bayguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
We're going to lose BEV when the new bird goes up so we need to get a Shaw system. Were in the San Francisco area. COuld you nice folks please answer a few questions about the Shaw rcvrs? We read the manuals but still have some questions.

The 600 and 605 are pretty much the same except some fancier outputs and a UHF remote on the 605 yes?

The 630 looks like the only one with manual timers. We dont like the timer on our Comcast box because if the guide says "To be announced" we can't set a timer. :-( So we really like manual timers.

Right now we have a really old BEV system (4700). On the Shaw rcvrs, can we connect them to our DVD recorder? Sometimes we like to make DVDs of movies we want to keep. I know since we got the BEV rcvr copyright electronics have changed alot and I don't know if you can still record to another device or if they block that now. Do they? The DVD recorder has a disk drive too and its always recording so its like a PVR, so maybe we don't need the Shaw PVR if we can connect a 600 or a 605 to our recorder. (Altho our recorder isn't HD.)

WEll we may have more questions but I should probably stop for now. Tnx!

The 600 and 605 are pretty much the same except some fancier outputs and a UHF remote on the 605 yes?

pretty much

The 630 looks like the only one with manual timers. We dont like the timer on our Comcast box because if the guide says "To be announced" we can't set a timer. :-( So we really like manual timers.

the 14-day guide is generally pretty accurate, and smart timers work well. i would lose too much sleep over this.

On the Shaw rcvrs, can we connect them to our DVD recorder?

i am guessing your dvd-r has rca inputs (yellow/red/white) if this is true, you should be able to hook up a 605 to the dvd-r with this and receiver to the tv via hdmi

thank you Francophile! That's good news about the timers being good. Sometimes we cant get even a day ahead on some stations on our Comcast box.

Do you think we could conenct our DVD-r to a 630 or wouldn't the signal be allowed to go to another device from a PVR? Like I said I know the fancier these TV rcvrs get the more they tighten up those rules about copying.

To the very best of my knowledge, any Composite (Red, White & Yellow) output it good to connect to a DVD-R. I think encryption only really comes in with DVi or HDMI and maybe some Composite connections. Although I have used a Haupage device connected via a PC to capture full HD via Component in 1080i.

Thank you Slarti the RCA plugs are OK with us so hopefully they will work okay.

New question! We used to have Directv and there are two cables coming from the oval dish and one went to one room and one went to another room. If we get a Starchoice PVR we could use those two cables yes? I know we need a different dish for SC but it would have two cables for the PVR (630) so we realized that we alredy had two cables on the old DTV dish.

Last edited:
Uh - hate to burst your bubble, but copy protection is in effect on the composite outputs of my 605 also. Last time I tried it when connected to my DVD/VCR recorder, only got the audio and a black screen (can't remember the text on it). And the fact that it was only the funeral of Jack Layton (former federal NDP leader) that my wife wanted to watch on CBC only makes me think it would not work on any of the other networks either.
Sorry, but do not count on it...
Steve

I have also recorded plenty of things off of my 630 via component to a Hauppage box. CBC, The Movie Network, no problems.

Hi everybody just thought I'd let you know that we got our Shaw Direct system and its working good. About the rcvrs, we got a 605 and its working fine sending shows to our Magnavox HDD/DVDR to record them so we can watch them later. So whoever couldn't send the signal to another box try again be'cuz maybe something was just wrong with yoru wires. We're just using the RCA cables now but we might switch to something else later. We still have our Bell system so after that goes away we'll move the Shaw box and maybe rewire things more.

Also we're glad we got the 605 b'cuz when we were setting up the dish it was nice that we had the UHF remote so we didnt have to put the Shaw box on the porch in the sun with the little TV we were using. The 600 only has infrared so you have to be right near it to use the remote.

We do wish these boxes had manual timers so we could add a minute before or after. The clock is accurate but when it switches to that channel it puts a little info on the screen for a few seconds that gets on the recording. Also we couldnt find any way to make a timer for the same time every week so we'll have to keep choosing the program every couple of weeks which seems stupid.

But overall we're very happy with the 605 and becuz we already have a recorder we didn't need to 630.

Hope that helps someone.

Me and my husband have been trying to get signal on are satellite we bought the new HD PVR 630 and as well as a new dish but every time we go to the "bar page" are receiver shuts off on its own and its getting very frustrating any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)