Sheffield waived by Tigers

Well, we'll see if thee are any takers. Here's just another head case with a long track record of bashing and attempting to derail each and every team he has ever played on. I say send his tired ass to Japan!!!!

Well, we'll see if thee are any takers. Here's just another head case with a long track record of bashing and attempting to derail each and every team he has ever played on. I say send his tired ass to Japan!!!!

To be honest, he has not been a head case and has NOT caused trouble while on the Tigers, this is like the first time we have heard anything negative from Sheff since he got here.

I am sure he's not happy with his ongoing injury situation. When he's been healthy he's pounded the ball, when he's injured, he'll pop it up and be frustrated.

Jimbo

To be honest, he has not been a head case and has NOT caused trouble while on the Tigers, this is like the first time we have heard anything negative from Sheff since he got here.

I am sure he's not happy with his ongoing injury situation. When he's been healthy he's pounded the ball, when he's injured, he'll pop it up and be frustrated.

Jimbo

Very true, Jimbo...but check his history. He comes to a team, is a beloved member saying and doing everything right and then after a few years one day...BAM! He hits management and he hits them hard.

Actually, on his Detroit "Time Bomb Ticker" he is about right on schedule!!!!

Jimbo
The problem with Sheff is that he is no longer 25...or 35....he is a quickly aging 40-year old whose best playing days are behind him. I doubt anyone will be willing to touch him and his 14M salary. Unfortunately for Sheff his mouth is still writing checks that his ass can no longer cash, and I doubt we'll see him in baseball much longer.

Interesting article about Sheff last year in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

He was put on waivers, which is much different then being waived like you might have it football. If a team claims him (which I highly doubt) the tigers then will have to work out an agreement with that team. Many teams after the trade deadline put players on "waivers" he will be here this year and next unless the tigers are willing to pay a large portion of his salary next year.

He was put on waivers, which is much different then being waived like you might have it football. If a team claims him (which I highly doubt) the tigers then will have to work out an agreement with that team. Many teams after the trade deadline put players on "waivers" he will be here this year and next unless the tigers are willing to pay a large portion of his salary next year.
I thought his contract expired after this season, but I could certainly be wrong.:confused:

I thought his contract expired after this season, but I could certainly be wrong. I just recall reading something last year that stated his contract was through 2008.:confused:

Thanks for the clarification.

There are trades that occur in August but unlike July, MLB players must clear waivers (all 30 teams) before trades can be made. Teams put many of there high priced players through the waiver process, but keep the lists of names confidential. Sheffield's name wasn't. He'll clear waivers and the Tigers can then listen to offers for him and his $14m salary in '09.

The Tiger's & Sheffield situation kind of speaks to the poor season the Tigers have had overall in 2008, what withtheir $138m payroll led by Miguel Cabrera's $150m. The Tigers aren't getting their money's worth this season and with the team underperforming someone has to take the blame.

Personally I didn't think Jim Leyland would last this long into this season. His contract expires at the end of 2009.

Last edited:
Sheff had one more year, played like sh*t, needed to go. Batted .220 and pissed everyone off.

I think Jim will get next year too, this year is not his fault.

Oh wait, from the first post I thought he was gone.

But he is up to bat right now.

I take it they placed him on waivers in an attempt to trade, which doesn't necessarily mean he will be leaving yet.

And then he goes out and hits 2 homers in tonights game. I love it when teams go out and try and buy a championship and they end up not even in the playoffs.

The problem with Sheff is that he is no longer 25...or 35....he is a quickly aging 40-year old whose best playing days are behind him. I doubt anyone will be willing to touch him and his 14M salary. Unfortunately for Sheff his mouth is still writing checks that his ass can no longer cash, and I doubt we'll see him in baseball much longer.

Interesting article about Sheff last year in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Oh , don't get me wrong, If you look at prior posts you'll see that I don't expect him to be here next year, possibly no longer this year either.

I just wanted to point out that he was NOT the malcontent with the Tigers that some made him out to be.

Jimbo

Oh wait, from the first post I thought he was gone.

But he is up to bat right now.

I take it they placed him on waivers in an attempt to trade, which doesn't necessarily mean he will be leaving yet.

I think waivers are 48 hours, but I did not expect to see him in there tonight either.
Your also allowed to pull a player OFF waivers as well.

Jimbo

Swedish wrestler throws down medal & quits !

What city has the biggest Sports Title Drought?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)