Bye bye to The Murph

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
San Diego Stadium (The Murph) is being demolished.

Reactions: c-spand
San Diego Stadium (The Murph) is being demolished.
People are sad about this ?
The team has left the city ... is this a surprise to anyone that they want to get rid of it ?

I'm nostalgically sad about it. Beginning with their inaugural MLB season in '69, attended countless Padre games as a kid with my Father and then later, many more with my sons. Played there against Marcus Allen in the 1977 CIF Football championship (he single handedly destroyed us). Went to dozens of concerts there over parts of 4 decades as well as Monster trucks, Motocross and even a Billy Graham revival. Many, many Charger games. San Diego Soccer's games in the 80's and SDSU Aztec games. At the end, it was a bit of a dump, but I'll definitely miss the "Murph".

I grew up in SD. The city built The Murph on speculation, hoping to get a major league baseball team, and the Padres expansion team landed the next year. I had mini season tickets to the Padres for Sunday and Wednesday home games in the 1970's. I also took in a few Aztecs and Chargers games there. After years of going to Balboa Stadium and Westgate Park for games, that was a great upgrade. The stadium outlived it's time, but it will be missed.

Reactions: Ziptied

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)