SHN-24 to combine cable and TV2 output from 322

dmfabri

Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I have successfully (technically speaking) used the shn-24 to combine my cable feed and the TV2 output into one cable. The cable channels appear very clear on the two tv's the line serves. The output from the 322 is very clear also - as long as I do NOT have the cable feed connected to the shn unit. When I connect the cable - the satellite channels work, but are very fuzzy - sound is good and I can change channels - cable channels remain clear. I have not terminated the unused outputs on the shn-24 (75 ohm terminators are recommended). I have changed TV2 modulator from 73 to 75 (it didn't help, but the satellite only reception got noticeably better. thanks in advance for your time.

Just find a channel number not used by the cable company. This can be tricky because of the digital channels. At my location I found that cable channels 105 and 121 were unused by analog or digital signals. Be careful though. You'll likely be sending your Dish signal on that channel to your neighbors since you are sending it back through the same line. That could cause bad interference issues and could be traced back to you. My final solution to avoid such issues was to extend the composite video and sound to my TV2 with Cat5 cable.

I have a similar setup and was able to get everything working with a Channel Plus notch filter. Either the NF-470 or NF-471 would work, depending on which cable channels are empty or you can afford to lose. The notch filter removes a range of channels from your cable signal, so that when you combine with the TV2 output your modulated channel will remain clear. Here is a link to one of the filters.

Amazon.com: Channel Plus NF-470 Notch Filter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QB0MVYdGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41QB0MVYdGL

Depending on your cable provider, there may be few if any choices without a filter. What isn't taken up with conventional channels and digital channels is often occupied with broadband and phone service.

I am going to try the same in the next day or two. the cable line I will be using is a dual cable system with analog on one and digital on the other, so I am hoping that the many unused channels on the analog line are really unused.

Fuzzy picture from SHN-24

Thanks for all the advice; the filter seems to make perfect sense. I have placed an order for one and will post the results. GO WINGS.:)

Success

I have just done it, perhaps not exactly as you may need. You need to bring your sat feed into your sat receiver (I have a 322 receiver, so the one sat feed provides 2 separate feeds). Then your cable feed goes into a splitter. From the splitter one goes directly into the cable box and the other into an NM-CNF7080 filter, filtering out (in both directions) channels 70-80. The 7080 goes into the cable input of the SHN-24, the TV2 output from the satellite receiver goes into the powered modulated input of the shn-24. A single cable carries both the satellite and cable output from the shn-24 to two other floors of the house. I use cable only for backup and local channels, including local government and school access and a Canadian channel and use the satellite for all else. Now I drop the local channel subscription from Dish. The net of it all after a rise in my cable internet fee is $2 a month increase.
I tried a diplexer to feed both satellite and cable before the 322, but started getting frequent signal losses from satellite. My config works, I hope it can help lead you to a solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)