Should I Be Scared?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

forsberg

Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I received my new receiver on Saturday. I have the protection plan and the old one was not operating properly. The directions within the box stated the following:

Return Options

Give the package to your United States Postal Service letter carrier
or

Drop off your package at Any Post Office.
or

Request a Free Package Pickup from your Postal letter carrier at their website. Your letter carrier will pick up your package when your mail is delivered.

So, on Saturday, I got the new receiver, packed up the old one and then waited for the Postal letter carrier to arrive with my mail. I stuck the label provided over their label where they sent me the new receiver. I kept my small part of the label for tracking purposes, as stated on the directions. The letter carrier came and I asked her if she was able to take the box. She looke it over and said "Yes, we take these packages labeled as such, so I can take this for you." I said are you sure and she said "Yes, it is properly labeled for us to take this for you." So, since the directions stated to give it to the United States Postal Service, I did that.

Now it is Tuesday, and nothing is showing up on the USPS website with the tracking # I have from the prepaid label provided. I called DirecTV and they cannot find anything either with that tracking #, so they said they obviosuly have not received it yet. I always thought they gave us a prepaid label for FedEx, but I was given a lebel for USPS with directions to give the box to them?

Therefore, I am getting scared that I followed to the "T" the directions as specified on the "Equipment Return Program" instructions and I have nothing to show for it at this time. I have been having DirecTv record in their notes that I have been checking (I called yesterday as well) and that I had sent it back to them as of Saturday. I am trying to cover all my bases and I have never felt good about returning a receiver in the mail to them because of the ridiculous fees involved with it being late. It says to avoid a $250 charge, I must send it within 7 days of receiving the new receiver. I gave the old receiver to the postal carrier the SAME day I received the new one so it would get there as fast as possible to avoid any fees. So, should I be scared? What else can I do right now?

If it was FedX or Airborne or any of the private carriers I might be worried but since you are dealing with the US postal service & it was a Saturday I would just give it some time. You do have your receipt which is actually your "receipt". Other than writing down the name of the carrier & making her sign something I don't know what more they can expect from you. If all goes to hell, you can't be the first customer to have their package go missing. If it does go missing, I'm sure you don't need the headache of calling them & getting it resolved for good but that's the only outcome I can see happening if it turns up lost.

I received my new receiver on Saturday. I have the protection plan and the old one was not operating properly. The directions within the box stated the following:

So, on Saturday, I got the new receiver, packed up the old one and then waited for the Postal letter carrier to arrive with my mail. I stuck the label provided over their label where they sent me the new receiver. I kept my small part of the label for tracking purposes, as stated on the directions. The letter carrier came and I asked her if she was able to take the box. She looke it over and said "Yes, we take these packages labeled as such, so I can take this for you." I said are you sure and she said "Yes, it is properly labeled for us to take this for you." So, since the directions stated to give it to the United States Postal Service, I did that.

Now it is Tuesday, and nothing is showing up on the USPS website with the tracking # I have from the prepaid label provided. I called DirecTV and they cannot find anything either with that tracking #, so they said they obviosuly have not received it yet. I always thought they gave us a prepaid label for FedEx, but I was given a lebel for USPS with directions to give the box to them?

Therefore, I am getting scared that I followed to the "T" the directions as specified on the "Equipment Return Program" instructions and I have nothing to show for it at this time. I have been having DirecTv record in their notes that I have been checking (I called yesterday as well) and that I had sent it back to them as of Saturday. I am trying to cover all my bases and I have never felt good about returning a receiver in the mail to them because of the ridiculous fees involved with it being late. It says to avoid a $250 charge, I must send it within 7 days of receiving the new receiver. I gave the old receiver to the postal carrier the SAME day I received the new one so it would get there as fast as possible to avoid any fees. So, should I be scared? What else can I do right now?

So have you called the USPS ?
That's where I would call first.
You sent it on Saturday ?
Today is Tuesday and you haven't seen anything on the USPS website ?

Should you be SCARED ? No.
I would think something should show upon the website by the end of the day though.

Fwiw, My returns have always been thru Fed Ex.

So have you called the USPS ?
That's where I would call first.
You sent it on Saturday ?
Today is Tuesday and you haven't seen anything on the USPS website ?

Should you be SCARED ? No.
I would think something should show upon the website by the end of the day though.

Fwiw, My returns have always been thru Fed Ex.

I know, it seems it should have been FedEx and I was expecting a FedEx label and directins. That is why I had her read the label and look at the tracking # to make sure it was one she could take. She said yes and the direction I received clearly stated to contact USPS....I didn't have anything for FedEx mentioned anywhere......I have read horror stories here about lost stuff, and I never wanted to get a new receiver for the last year because i was afraid of sending a receiver back this way. But I gutted it out and asked for a new one, and now I hope my worst fears don't come true.....but it isn't off to a good start, and that is the last thing I need....

I know, it seems it should have been FedEx and I was expecting a FedEx label and directins. That is why I had her read the label and look at the tracking # to make sure it was one she could take. She said yes and the direction I received clearly stated to contact USPS....I didn't have anything for FedEx mentioned anywhere......I have read horror stories here about lost stuff, and I never wanted to get a new receiver for the last year because i was afraid of sending a receiver back this way. But I gutted it out and asked for a new one, and now I hope my worst fears don't come true.....but it isn't off to a good start, and that is the last thing I need....

Relax buddy,
It takes time for these to go thru the process, chances are D* won't have it till the end of the week.
They don't want/need to pay for next day air or anything like that.

Like I said, see if it's cleared thru the post office by the end of the week.

USPS has been shipping to D* for quite some time now. Fed Ex has been doing it longer.

Relax buddy,
It takes time for these to go thru the process, chances are D* won't have it till the end of the week.
They don't want/need to pay for next day air or anything like that.

Like I said, see if it's cleared thru the post office by the end of the week.

USPS has been shipping to D* for quite some time now. Fed Ex has been doing it longer.

Thanks Jimbo. I have bought all of my HT gear on-line, so I have no problem with that. But for some reason, this un-nerves me, however I think it is the high fees involved if it is late that is causing that.

USPS is notoriously bad about their tracking system. I have sent a number of things with tracking numbers that never showed up. I have also sent things with USPS Delivery Confirmation which they said got there and the recipient said it didn't. The only way to be sure with USPS is to buy insurance and then if something happens they have to pay for it. You'd be surprised at how good they are about finding things when it's their dime.

FWIW, I sent a DVR back to Directv yesterday through USPS with a scheduled p/u and I registered my e-mail for confirmation. The return kit was delivered by FedEx but return label is now USPS. I returned a DVR last June, and return label was FedEx & was returned via FedEx p/u. This is a recent change.

FWIW, I sent a DVR back to Directv yesterday through USPS with a scheduled p/u and I registered my e-mail for confirmation. The return kit was delivered by FedEx but return label is now USPS. I returned a DVR last June, and return label was FedEx & was returned via FedEx p/u. This is a recent change.

Just got this e-mail with a confirmation #:

Thank you for shipping with the U.S. Postal Service. This is to confirm that a successful Carrier Pickup was made as requested...

confirmation # attached to e-mail.

SAME HERE

USPS is notoriously bad about their tracking system. I have sent a number of things with tracking numbers that never showed up. I have also sent things with USPS Delivery Confirmation which they said got there and the recipient said it didn't. The only way to be sure with USPS is to buy insurance and then if something happens they have to pay for it. You'd be surprised at how good they are about finding things when it's their dime.

I've had that happen to me too when you ship something with delivery confirmation and it says it got delivered when the person receiving it never got it. Also sending receivers back with USPS probably is not a tracking number, it most likely a delivery confirmation number. I've noticed before when I've used that method sometimes it won't show any tracking information, just when it gets to its destination will it show "delivered."

I wouldn't worry. Like these guys just said, the USPS tracking system isn't very good about things showing up. I'm confident your package will get there just fine.

I would watch out for Directv.
I went through the same thing and am still fighting with it. Directv will charge you if the receiver is late or even if it is not late they will still charge you.
You have the burden of proof that is was delivered.

I would watch out for Directv.
I went through the same thing and am still fighting with it. Directv will charge you if the receiver is late or even if it is not late they will still charge you.
You have the burden of proof that is was delivered.

Seeing we haven't heard back from the OP in about 2-3 weeks, there's a GOOD chance that it's taken care of.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts