Should I Buy A 811?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
Hello everyone. I am itching to get MonstersHD back ...plus TNTHD. I have the dish up pointing at 110 and the old VOOM dish pointing at 61.5. I called Dish and they want to charge me 150 bucks for install of a new dish when I really don't need one. All I have to do is get a SW-21 switch and connect everything to an 811 receiver. My question is simple....should I buy a 811 for around 250 bucks when I know I won't be able to use it for MPEG4? Will Dish offer me a swap out receiver when Mpeg 4 takes place? All I want is the HD pack and VOOM pack for 20 bucks a mth. What would you guys do? Buy a 811...or wait it out? If I buy one do you guys think Dish will swap it for me?

411 Which is MPEG4 compatible should be out by the end of Nov. at the same price point as an 811. You must make the decision but 411 looks like a better buy.

Good to know thanks....if it around the same price I'm going to go for it. I don't want to be stuck with a 811. I'm a bit suprised that the price hasn't come down yet for the 811's.

Claude Greiner said:
Exactly, Maybe April or May if we are luckey!
That's what I'm afraid of. But I really don't want to get stuck with a receiver that isn't worth a dime.

boba said:
411 Which is MPEG4 compatible should be out by the end of Nov. at the same price point as an 811. You must make the decision but 411 looks like a better buy.

How many months do you think it will take Dish to figure out fixes for the Bugs that are sure to be in this new setup? :confused:
But then again, they usually don't,they just come out with a new receiver(s) ! :D

I'll hang on to my 811 until it no longer can get a HD signal........... :yes

Claude Greiner said:
Then lease an 811 for $50, then Dish will be stuck with a receiver that isn't worth a dime and you'll be out $50
I can't lease a 811 because I'm not looking to sign up for a AC-60 package. Without signing up for at least the lowest pack....Dish doesn't offer a lease option. I would really like to keep my Directv sub and just add the HD from Dish...the best of both worlds. For now anyway.

Do what i did bro, cruize Ebay nightly for 3-5 days, you'll be shocked what deals come up. I missed two deals that sold within minutes of posting, but then got one for less than two hxxxxxd shipped. Just make absolutely sure that the seller posted "no outstanding balance".

Keep in mind that this is a very dynamic market so deals can be had often. Also keep in mind that these will really become doorstops in 1-2 years with MPEG4.

Yes ....ebay is a great place for deals. I got mine shipped for $215. Good deal in my eyes. I'm very happy to have MonstersHD and TNTHD back. I missed them both. I'm hoping that since I'm a HD customer ....that when the conversion takes place, DIsh will offer me some deal on a new receiver. We will see. But I'm happy I bought the 811. It's not as good as the VOOM receiver that I had...but it will do for now.

I haven't had any issues with my two leased 811s; they do a good job and display a pretty good picture. I'm not sure I would buy an 811 at this point in time - would probably wait on the Big HD Chat next month (9 Jan). It all depends on what purchase, upgrade (which ties into MPEG-4 HD LIL and your location), and lease offers E* will be rolling out.

I just feel that it will be a while yet until Dish switches over to Mpeg 4. When they do....I'm hoping to be offered a deal from Dish to buy a new Mpeg 4 receiver , until then I'm happy I bought the 811. My total cost for the receiver minus my VOOM receiver sale was 160 bucks shipped. Not that bad at all considering the VOOM receiver was a rental.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)