Should I get a 921 or wait for the 942 ?

If you're jumping in I'd get a 942 over a 921. It has much more features at release time and will have more attention paid to it. The 921 is on it's way out. Actually the 921 is out when the 942 is in, production of the 921 is stopping(ed)

If I were getting today and were available I'd get the 942, however, i've had 921 since Jan. and have really enjoyed it. Mine works flawlessly. Good luck:

The difference between the 921 and the 942 is purely market perception. It would depend on how you are going to use it. Here are major differences.

A. Do you have PiP/PoP? Intend to use it? The 921 was designed for it and can use the same remote. The 942 has 2 seperate tuners so you can use PiP/PoP but it really wasn't designed for it. Problem you will have there is you have 2 remotes for input 1/2.

B. Have a phone line? The 921 doesn't have any sort of phone line fees but the 942 follows the X22 models which the phone line fee if you don't have a phone line hooked up to it. So if you don't care about the price or don't have a landline you'll probably want the 921.

C. How many tv's do you want to work? The 921 is for 1 tv and the 942 is designed for 2.

D. Software. Remember how many software issues on the 921? Yeah, same with the 942 all over again.

E. Price. The 921s more upfront but you own it. The 942 is less upfront cost, you lease it.

F. NBR. Flat out, 942 has it 921 has little hope to ever see it.

I just got the 921 a week ago, yeah I could have waited for the 942 but I don't agree with having to plug the phone line into the reciever to not be charged for a second tv when I only use the PiP.

I too am considering the same issue of 921 vs 942.

I understand that the 921 will not output HD and SD over their respective outputs at the same time; however, the 942 will. Is this in fact the case?

I presently have an 811 rental unit and I can make an SD recording any time - without regard to whether I am viewing HD or SD. I would just love to be able to record some things in HD for later viewing.

A good comparision of the two units (write up and/or a feature chart) would be super helpful!

It will do 480p/480i in safe mode which is unusable with the latest software update. There is now jittery images in the sd or 480i mode now. You can record hd with the 921 and the 942 but only one ota channel at a time since neither receiver has but one digital ota tuner. Directv has a hd tivo with 2 digital ota tuners. This is much more usable for most people. The 942 will do both at the same time with hd (480p-1080i)and sd(480i) , but it will go to 2 different tvs at the same time. This means you will have the equivalent of 2 single tuners sat receivers built in to one receiver. You can operate it in single mode and it behaves like the 921 receiver but I don't know yet how that will work with the hd /sd outputs . The 942 is supposed to be available by 3/19 to the sat vendors. I hope to have one by months end.

sprintcarcrazy said:
Can you record OTA HD stuff with the 921 ?

Yes you can.

"MikeD-C05 You can buy the 942 as well. I am on the pre order list to get one at www.dishdepot.com. It was 699.00 and they do trade ins for your old sat receivers. "

I noticed they were not offering anything for the 921 and that s****.

I'm sure. I've worked with the 942 and 921 both so know the technical aspects of it and the administrative aspects of the billing.

If you call and talk to Mark at the dishdepot website , he will work out a trade in value for your 921 . I am trading mine in towards the 942. I also sold my 2 /721s on E-bay and have the money to do a complete swap out at no cost to me . The point is Mark will work with you and he is quite fair. I have used him over the years to get all my latest and greatest receivers and he has done all my trade ins. He pays for the postage and shipping on the trade ins as well. I highly recommend him to everyone. :D

www.dishdepot.com

I have no plans to use it for two TV's, we have a 511 downstairs, but it's always recording stuff for the kids, they keep it booked solid.

What I had in mind was being able to record HD OTA, while watching HD Dish stuff, will that work ?

What would be the benefit of having the 942 for just one TV ?

I have ordered a 921, install date of 4-8, they said they require an install, won't let me hook it up, I have done the rest, not sure why.

It should work just like the 921 unless the tuner you are recording on is set for the number 1 tuner( on your hd tv set ) The 522 has an option to set up all your recordings for the number 2 tuner( the second sd tv ) , it is called record plus. You can operate the 942 in single mode just like the 522 complete with pip. Then it should operate like a dual tuner and you can swap out the pip and watch on the unused tuner. The 942 is based on the 522 software so it should be just like the menus, etc as the 522. I don't know how the ota will work yet unless they use the 811/921 as a guideline. I hope that what ever they do , they do not use ELDON for anything software related. :shocked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)