should i get dishnetwork or keep comcast hdtv?

one028

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
southeast michigan
i currently have comcast hdtv in michigan (detroit area). i really am not happy with the sd channels, but i have read that they are not much better with dishnetwork. i guess that dish is all digital so the sd channels should be a little better than cable sd channels, right? also when im watching a hd channel that isnt broadcasting a widescreen high def program , i get the bars on the left and right and cant stretch these channels. i understand with dish and the 811 reciever you can change the aspect ratio for the hd channels when they arent broadcasting a hd widescreen program. last thing, does direct tv offer any type of deals like dish for new customers. i call direct tv and they tell me that i have to contact a local dealer, like circuit city. when i talk to them, they tell me i have to buy a hd reciever. am i missing some type of promotion for direct tv. the last problem i have is that i was a dish customer 3 years ago, and local dish dealers tell me that i cant get the new promotions. when i call dish they say im eligible for a returning customer promotion , which seems to me to be the same as a new customer promotion......if someone can fill me in, i would appreciate it, im confused.

one028 said:
i currently have comcast hdtv in michigan (detroit area). i really am not happy with the sd channels, but i have read that they are not much better with dishnetwork. i guess that dish is all digital so the sd channels should be a little better than cable sd channels, right? also when im watching a hd channel that isnt broadcasting a widescreen high def program , i get the bars on the left and right and cant stretch these channels. i understand with dish and the 811 reciever you can change the aspect ratio for the hd channels when they arent broadcasting a hd widescreen program. last thing, does direct tv offer any type of deals like dish for new customers. i call direct tv and they tell me that i have to contact a local dealer, like circuit city. when i talk to them, they tell me i have to buy a hd reciever. am i missing some type of promotion for direct tv. the last problem i have is that i was a dish customer 3 years ago, and local dish dealers tell me that i cant get the new promotions. when i call dish they say im eligible for a returning customer promotion , which seems to me to be the same as a new customer promotion......if someone can fill me in, i would appreciate it, im confused.

Well, everyone Comcast system is different so it's hard to answer your quality question. Probably the best I can say is that Dish's (E*) channels look about the same as Comcast's digital channels, so if you're happy with them you'll be OK with E*. I don't know about your Comcast system but typically they don't carry Discovery HD or the HDNet channels, which D* and E* both carry. However, Comcast is rolling out Cinemax-HD and Starz-HD which E* and D* don't carry now and haven't announced.

As for changing the aspect ratio, yes, the E* 811 does allow you to change the formatting by pressing the * button on the remote for SD and HD channels.

As for DirecTV (D*) specials, you can get a Hughes E86 HD receiver and a phase 3 dish plus installation at www.valuelectronics.com for $350, you also need to commit to D* for 12 months.

But before you make a decision please look on this and the www.dbstalk.com web site for all the 811 threads and see if the number of problems with that box will bother you or not.

what about the compression issue...is the compression worse or better with dish compared t comcast. if there is more compression, why and how bad does it affect the picture?

As I said, it's hard to compare since each Comcast system can and will look different. On my Comcast system the SD digital channels looked like the SD channels on E*, both were overcompressed. The HD channels looked the same as on E* which was excellent.

rad said:
As I said, it's hard to compare since each Comcast system can and will look different. On my Comcast system the SD digital channels looked like the SD channels on E*, both were overcompressed. The HD channels looked the same as on E* which was excellent.

ok, i just signed up with dishnetwork and im dumping comcast. :yes . so, can someone tell me how the 311 reciever works. dish tells me that i can control 2 tv;s with one reciever and watch diff programs on the 2 tv's. how does this work? i also am getting the 811 reciever, and would like to know what is a good outdoor antenna to get? i am scheduled to have install on wed 3/3, hopefully it will be here then, and i hope i like it.

one028 said:
ok, i just signed up with dishnetwork and im dumping comcast. :yes . so, can someone tell me how the 311 reciever works. dish tells me that i can control 2 tv;s with one reciever and watch diff programs on the 2 tv's. how does this work? i also am getting the 811 reciever, and would like to know what is a good outdoor antenna to get? i am scheduled to have install on wed 3/3, hopefully it will be here then, and i hope i like it.

The 311 doesnt have two tuners. At least -- I don't think it does. As for your OTA antenna, you should get whatever works for your area. The Channel Master 4228 seems to be a popular model for those far away from the signal or with large objects in the way (hills, trees, etc.) I personally use a Silver Sensor indoor antenna and I get awesome reception, but I have to move the antenna now and then.

Good to hear you are setup so quickly. Seems DISH can shot 811's no problem to new users, while a lot of the current subs are still waiting to get theirs -- and they paid $149 for them.

Bill

WLong said:
The 311 doesnt have two tuners. At least -- I don't think it does. As for your OTA antenna, you should get whatever works for your area. The Channel Master 4228 seems to be a popular model for those far away from the signal or with large objects in the way (hills, trees, etc.) I personally use a Silver Sensor indoor antenna and I get awesome reception, but I have to move the antenna now and then.

Good to hear you are setup so quickly. Seems DISH can shot 811's no problem to new users, while a lot of the current subs are still waiting to get theirs -- and they paid $149 for them.

Bill
ok, im sorry, im actually getting the 322 and the 811, is the 322 dual tuner?? :confused:

one028 said:
ok, im sorry, im actually getting the 322 and the 811, is the 322 dual tuner?? :confused:

Yep. I think thats why its 322 instead of 311 (2 tuners instead of one).

how does this work...if i have the 322 upstairs, and have it also hooked up to a tv in my basement, how do i change channels on the dowstaires tv with no box?????

one028 said:
how does this work...if i have the 322 upstairs, and have it also hooked up to a tv in my basement, how do i change channels on the dowstaires tv with no box?????

I dont have a setup like that. I have two 311's.

you change channels on the 322 with two supplied remotes, one is IR for the room the 322 is in, which only works when pointed at the 322, the other is RF remote which should work up to 100 ft away, thru doors, floors, and walls. The only things an RF remote will not work thru is metal or thick bricks or cinder block walls. hope I could help! :yes

one028 what city are you in?
I live in Belleville,maybe I can help with your antenna

one028 I hope you aren't under a 1 year commitment with DISH, with that combination of equipment Comcast is going to look wonderful.

one028 said:
no commitment....and why do you say that?

Someone shamelessly bashing Dish Network. I have the 811 at home and I think its great, except for a few minor flaws.

well i signed up for dishetwork last week, gave me a install date on web 3/3. took the morning off of work and waited for the install. called dishnetwork to confirm the install and they said...yes...will be there this morning. around 1100am, installer called and said thay he was sorry but they didnt have the 811 receiver... :mad:. i called back dishnetwork and cancelled. what a bad experience with dish.....im sticking with comcast high defintion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts