Should i go E or comcast?

lilexecutioner

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hey Guys,

I have had Directv for about 3 or 4 years now and have been in love with their HD service. However i am moving and the building i am moving to only has Dish or Comcast no D Boo!! Well i was wondering how good is Dish these days with their HD channels and quality? Is it comparable? Also i wanted to get a 922 but i have been reading horrible stories so i guess i should go with a 722k, and the sling box, how is the google tv thing? Sorry to throw everything at ya just trying to make a decision and i am running out of time. Any help would be great.

If you want cheaper equipment fees, better technology, much much better UI and most likely more HD go with Dish. I was in the same boat as you month ago and I'm so glad I went back to E, it's been awesome!

Do you want phone and internet too? Comcast has done a Network upgrade in Chicago and other areas where they have the same amount or more HD than E or D. Their cable boxes are just really slow and buggy. It might be cheaper to do a Triple Play but you could do Dish for TV and Comcast for Phone and Internet and maybe still wind up with a cheaper price. I would compare the prices and what they offer and see what fits best for your needs.

If you are a sports fan look at the both providers' offerings and take that into consideration. Look at some of the other threads dealing with NFL coverage, MLB Coverage and the lack of full time HD programming on some of the sports networks on Dish.

Also look at the advantages of Comcast's server based VOD offerings vs having to record everything on your own DVR.

There are many variables with Comcast or any cable company. It would be best if you could find someone in YOUR building with HD and a good TV so you can judge PQ for yourself.

Look at the packages that Comcast offers in the Chicago area and then look at the packages and sports that Dish offers, compared to what you need.

My biggest worry is hd quality difference from D toE. I get to choose my package and what not just like I was setting up as a new customer. I am one of those people that notices the slitest difference in pq that's why I ask here there are anal people like me for PQ and they will be honest.

My biggest worry is hd quality difference from D toE. I get to choose my package and what not just like I was setting up as a new customer. I am one of those people that notices the slitest difference in pq that's why I ask here there are anal people like me for PQ and they will be honest.

The PQ is just a tad softer on Dish. Not noticeable though. If I had to choose between Dish and Comcast right now I would go Dish because of their great equipment and selection of HD channels. I do have Comcast for Phone and Internet and it works great. Those services are where Comcast shines. The Comcast cable boxes only have a 160 gig hard drive compared to the 500 gig in the 722K and they are so slow and buggy!

As a former D* sub myself, I find any difference in HD PQ on E* barely noticeable. E* HD PQ is excellent. But HD PQ on my local cable system is horrible. Maybe Comcast in your area is better. You'll also like having a powerful, full featured DVR on E* versus cable. Dish has some nice extras as well like being able to watch live TV and all your recordings anywhere on just about any device. Their DVR/Schedule management online is vastly better than D*. I don't think cable even has such a thing.

I also find that after the teaser rates run out, cable (even bundles) are much higher than satellite. There are many cheaper options for phone service other than cable. Personally I'm very happy with my $10/month Verizon Home Phone Connect service ($10 for shared minutes or $20 for unlimited minutes). It's much cheaper and more reliable than IP phone service I've used in the past. And the whole service is cheaper than just the tax on my old land line. Of course there are even cheaper options as well.

I do think it depends on how many and of what kind of receivers you need.

In our house we needed two dual tuner DVR units.. the cost of such a thing with comcast would be 20 dollars more per month than dish. And then we added a 3rd box to our setup .. only 7 dollars more even with EHD (211k unit) where as the same thing with Comcast would have been 15 to 20 dollars again.

Remember if you go with Comcast all the service is included and if a box needs replacing you can either pick one up at their offices or they will send a tech. With Dish if you don't pay for a service plan you will pay for service calls and if a box fails you will have to ship it back to them for a replacement.

Comcast will let you try their service and if you don't like it cancel. No contracts!

If you make your decision based on cost be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

have comcasts triple play with a purchased lifetime TIVO..

Unbeatable combo. My Tivo is rock solid stable, I have rebooted it only twice in the last couple years. Unlike E......

I know this comes down to personal taste and needs, but cable companies get their DVRs from different manufacturers, while E* and D* make their own DVRs. That being said, cable companies DVRs are lagging way behind the tech that goes into either E* or D* DVRs. If the DVR you have is nothing but a frustration to use (as my Motorola DVR from Insight was), it won't matter what kind of small savings your getting or how many channels you have. And, IMO, E* PQ has been fantastic, even in SD. Blows away anything I had with cable.
Good luck in what ever you pick!
Ghpr13:)

I'm about to drop E* for cable. Two reasons, it's cheaper and I can use Tivo. I really can't imagine PQ being much worse than satelite's HD lite offerings, but I admit I'm taking a gamble on that part. I can tell you one thing, though, if you go with comcast get ready for absolutely terrible customer service.

isaacmorseMI said:
The PQ is just a tad softer on Dish. Not noticeable though. If I had to choose between Dish and Comcast right now I would go Dish because of their great equipment and selection of HD channels. I do have Comcast for Phone and Internet and it works great. Those services are where Comcast shines. The Comcast cable boxes only have a 160 gig hard drive compared to the 500 gig in the 722K and they are so slow and buggy!

Actually Comcast does have a 500 gb hard drive in their Dcx3400 DVR. Now however unlike with E they don't give you your first receiver free, there is a 20$ a month charge just for the DCX. And let no one fool you, to get their best promotions Comcast is requiring a 24 month contract

I'm about to drop E* for cable. Two reasons, it's cheaper and I can use Tivo. I really can't imagine PQ being much worse than satelite's HD lite offerings, but I admit I'm taking a gamble on that part. I can tell you one thing, though, if you go with comcast get ready for absolutely terrible customer service.
I'm going to repeat a suggestion from earlier. If you are in a neighborhood, try to find a close neighbor with cable and HD, and check out his/her PQ before you pull the trigger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)