Should I invest $250 in the 942?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK, I called twice E* to get this $250 for 942 offer. Failed twice, because I am not a new customer (my account is on hold for $5/month - $5/month Club Dish = $0.25/month in taxes since July 2004, when I switched to Voom).
So I will cancel E* soon when my Club Dish sertificate will expire and account will go to $0.00. I guess it will take no more then three months.
BTW, they offered 811 for $100 install fee. Before I had only one 6000 receiver for one HDTV I had. With Voom I bought Panny 500 and ordered two receivers.
I find E* options for obsolete soon receivers unacceptable.
So I called TWC and start feel better. For all HD they offer (including HBO and Showtime packages) + Road Runner they are asking $128 with taxes fixed for two years for HD DVR + HD receiver. I think it is very reasonable and they on top of that offer $20/month discount for two years. So the total will be $108. :yes (not :D because it is not Voom).
So I think that E* and D* are actually don't care about us Voomers. :mad:

They allow more than one 522 per account. I already had two CSR's be like "how did you get two 522's on your account" and I told them that it was allowed if you actually bought them. You can even do that on DHA accounts if you leased one then bought the second and all additional ones.

angiodan said:
I have decided to take the plunge, since I had a new 921 in the box, its only going to cost me a couple of hundred to buy the 942 outright.

As John and Shane said, mpeg conversion will probably be later rather than sooner. We'll see.

Those were exactly my thoughts angiodan . :)

Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Friday via UPS.

My gut feeling is that we will not see new HD receivers for Mpeg4 before April 2006. They'll be able to show them at CES, but I can't see them having it ready for prime time (or for what passes for "ready" at E*) until then.

My 921 will still do just fine until then. Here's to hoping the next one is more stable like the 942..... And please, do it in house..... No Microsoft.... No Eldon.... Just build it yourself and hire more programmers (hopefully some who know what they are doing).

BobMurdoch said:
My gut feeling is that we will not see new HD receivers for Mpeg4 before April 2006. They'll be able to show them at CES, but I can't see them having it ready for prime time (or for what passes for "ready" at E*) until then.

My 921 will still do just fine until then. Here's to hoping the next one is more stable like the 942..... And please, do it in house..... No Microsoft.... No Eldon.... Just build it yourself and hire more programmers (hopefully some who know what they are doing).

I agree Bob, it seems to me the 942 is better right out of the box than the 921 is today!

The prognosis is in...

larrystotler said:
Since they only allow 1 522 per account, I'd have to say you are nuts.......... :)

I've been told I'm nuts by several in regards to this. I wish I could remember who posted that you could get more than 1 DVR lease per account...but it doesn't matter, THEY are the insane ones. Oh well, had to ask.

Stargazer said:
They allow more than one 522 per account. I already had two CSR's be like "how did you get two 522's on your account" and I told them that it was allowed if you actually bought them. You can even do that on DHA accounts if you leased one then bought the second and all additional ones.

The question was LEASING 2 522s. They will only allow a 522/510/510 lease setup. I edited by original post to clarify this. I'm not even sure about a 942/522 setup, however. I haven't ran a claim in a week, so I will have to see if it is there.

Get The 942!

Definitely get the 942!! I am an ex Voomer and I just had my install with Dish Network with a 942 this week. I can't believe how nice this unit is compared to VOOM's equipment. First of all, the menus are fantastic. Very clean on the screen, easy to read and easy to navigate. I recorded American Idol in High Def last night and it looked fantastic. I am so glad I made the switch to DISH as I DO NOT LIKE Direct TV. I actually have Direct TV in my office and hate it. Hope this helps out. The 942 looks great, has a one year warranty with Dish and I have nothing but good things to say!!

Don Kirsteuer :)

Astro said:
Definitely get the 942!! I am an ex Voomer and I just had my install with Dish Network with a 942 this week. I can't believe how nice this unit is compared to VOOM's equipment. First of all, the menus are fantastic. Very clean on the screen, easy to read and easy to navigate. I recorded American Idol in High Def last night and it looked fantastic. I am so glad I made the switch to DISH as I DO NOT LIKE Direct TV. I actually have Direct TV in my office and hate it. Hope this helps out. The 942 looks great, has a one year warranty with Dish and I have nothing but good things to say!!

Don Kirsteuer :)

But can you elaborate a bit more? :clap :clap :clap

Sorry I couldn't resist. It is nice to hear something POSITIVE about Dish for a change. I agree you really should get the 942 . It works pretty damn good for a new Dish receiver just hitting the street. Being able to record 3 things at the same time, like 2 hd sat channels and 1 hd ota channel, PRICELESS! :D

I am new to Dish but I definitely recommend getting the 942. I got my 942 installed on Monday and this box is great. Recording 3 shows at one time is great. Recording 3 HD shows at the same time is amazing.

I used a stand alone Tivo with cable before I got Dish installed and I have to say I that I like the 942 better than Tivo.

I have not had any problems with the box. The menus are great and are very quick. The user manual is very helpful.

John Corn said:
Those were exactly my thoughts angiodan . :)

Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Friday via UPS.

John, the 942 kicks ass. This is definitely what the 921 should have been. Makes my 921 look like a second class citizen.

I am now seriously thinking of selling my 921 and 508 and picking up another one.

Since I wired my new house like a maniac with HD/SD distribution everywhere, I can probably lose my 721 as well, and survive quite well with a couple of 942's distributing signals throughout. Save me a few bucks on extra receiver fees as well. :D

The wife and kids have so much stuff recorded on the 721 that they don't want to lose, so that may be the tough sell.

I could always say it crashed, and blame it on this crappy E* equipment!! ;)

jagouar said:
same... but isnt the whole point of a lease that we can get basically a free upgrade to the mpeg4 one when/if it comes.

Yeah E*'s policy and treatment of exisiting customers is so encouraging! NOT! You may get an upgrade eventually, but my guess is MPEG4 goes to new subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)