Should I replace any RG59 cable I have with RG6?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Test12345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Right now my setup works fine, but I have to wire in another box. Would I see any benefit replacing the cable on the existing box or should I just leave it alone? Thanks!

3Ghz sweep tested RG-6 (It's all I use) RG-59 is only used for connection of the TV to the ant/cable wall jack IMHO.
How long is your run?

RG59 is supposedly high loss cable, not recommended for a cable run of any length. I used it one time because I had a lot, but have since got rid of that for all Rg-6 cable.
I did run some 59 under the house from a splitter to another tv, and am about to throw that, soon as it is warm enough to make me want to tackle the crawl-space lol.

I had a functional second birdview dish that was originally used for audio feeds only, so pq was not a big deal to me. I re-aimed that dish keeping it stationary on 137 West. It was fed by RG-59. Quality was not the best. Changed the cable to RG-6, immediate improvement. You may find a better overall system with the upgrade of the cable. Small price to pay for big improvement in your system's potential.

RG-6 is absolutely recommended for satellite. I would never use RG-59 for any application.

It is still ok for things like analog video cameras and other applications that use relatively low frequencies (think VHF, FM radio, etc). If I was replacing or installing new cable it would definitely be RG-6 or better. Comparatively small price difference and RG-6 can be used pretty much anywhere RG-59 was used but offer much more flexibility for the future.

I always use RG-6. However, if you are using something that is working, such as RG-59 in this case, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. No point in fixing something that is still working. It also don't hurt to upgrade it to RG-6 though. I have seen RG-59 being used and later it would burn out and require a cable replacement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)