Should I run a LAN Cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

komobu

Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Hi;

I am a limo driver and spend much time in a car waiting on clients. I often watch sports from my hopper's sling box on my samsung tablet. The hopper I have uses a wireless netgear adapter that is plugged into the usb port on the hopper and connects to my wireless wifi network. I believe my joey also connects over wifi, but it may be connecting over the black coax wire, I am not sure.

Since I often use my sling to watch tv in the limos, I am wondering if I should run a dedicated Ethernet cable from my router to my hopper instead of using wireless. If I do run the cat5e ethernet cable to my hopper, should I run it to my joey as well? If I do run the cable, is there any set up I must do?

I am using Verizon Fios as my ISP. The verizon fios router has 4 ethernet plugs and wireless. the wireless connection where the joey is is kind of poor so I had to put in a wireless extender. Come to think of it, the Joey must be connected through the black coax cable because before I put in the extender, the wireless in that room was awful.

Thanks for any advice.

It's probably not necessary to run an Ethernet cable to the Hopper. If your wireless router is less than 1-2 years old, it's capable of 100+ Mbps (technically it can do ~300Mbps). Unless you consistently get faster speeds than that from your FIOS connection, you'll be fine.

The Joey can get internet access through "the black coax cable" unless you plugged in a WiFi USB adapter.

Having a wired connection is always the best recommended connection type due to it is the most stable and reliable internet connection. The joey gets internet through MOCA signal from the hopper. Once the hopper is internet connected it is able to share that IP address with any joeys connected to the system.

Wired connections are not as likely to be affected by congestion as wireless.

IOW the more things connected wirelessly, the more it slows down.

BTW, I just renewed my FiOS contract. Sales critter had all kinds of stats on usage. Wanted me to accept 75/75 because I normally had six or so devices connected, with a max of twelve. I must have had guests over to reach twelve. I saved $5 and stuck with 75/75.

Thanks for the info. So if I run the wire, is it only a matter of plugging it in? Will I have to do any type of set up or call for a service tech?

You have to disable the existing wireless connection to your Hopper. Then simply correct the Ethernet cable. It will connect automatically. You can confirm it under Menu, Settings, Network, Broadband.

I do not pay the cable company for wi-fi at all. The DISH installer insisted it was important to connect the Hopper to the internet so I ordered a TP Link AV 200 power-line adapter as it was going to be very difficult to run a wire under my home. It is definitely connected although I do not use any of the internet capabilities. Reviews on Amazon gave this device high ratings. In the opinion of those members who have more experience in these matters, do you feel it is as good as a dedicated connection? It could be another alternative for the limo driver.

The only internet without data limits available to me is 5 down and 1 up. I have 1 cell phone, 2 HWSs, 3 laptops, a tablet,a printer, a smart tv and a blueray 3d dvd using a router. With wifi I am lucky to get 1/2 the max down and up speeds when more than 2 devices are on using the wifi. However with a wired connection I get the full 5 down , 1 up. With my main HWS hard wired my other HWS and 2 Joeys get the full 5 down and 1 up using MOCA. I have noticed I get between 1/2 and full on those devices I can set to use the 5.2 band. The 2.4 band has interference from other electronics in my house such as microwave oven and cordless phone. I also had to put in a wifi extender to get any wifi at further than 40 feet from the router.

Reactions: charlesrshell