External HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

356B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Northern California
I'm looking to buy another EHD, I'm currently using a Western Digital that is several years old, any suggestions or reviews appreciated.
Thank you

I favor 1 TB. Less to lose in a failed drive, but mostly due to the limit of 1,000 or so titles that can be displayed. Not good to have 2,000 titles but you can't see which ones.

Agree on all points. Plus the 500 GB and 1TBs are getting to be so cheap now you can easily buy 3, 4 or 19 and use them for different categories. Like one only for movies, one for TV shows, etc...

Agree on all points. Plus the 500 GB and 1TBs are getting to be so cheap now you can easily buy 3, 4 or 19 and use them for different categories. Like one only for movies, one for TV shows, etc...
Where do you get yours?
Does usb 3.0 help speed with H2K or is it even an issue?

I suggest a "Dock", like a BlacX.. Just buy cheap bare drives and label with masking tape and a Sharpie!:biggrin2.
Just make sure you don't cover the vent holes with the masking tape! ;)

Reactions: 356B
I personally prefer a library of 500gb drives, for action movies, documentaries, old flicks, weekly sitcoms, etc. I just refer back... Reminds me of the sections at Blockbuster and makes searching so much easier, with less data loss at any given moment.

Reactions: Tron2012
My 2 HWSs have the OTA tuner using up one of the USB ports. I use the other 2 USB ports to connect EHDs. So I can access 2 EHDs in each room the HWSs are in. The 2 Joeys can see all 4 EHDs by linking to each HWS. However I have to power up the EHDs I want to see.Is there a recommended multiport USB hub to allow more than 2 EHDs to be connected to my set up and how far from the hub can you be to power up the EHD you want to use?

I personally prefer a library of 500gb drives, for action movies, documentaries, old flicks, weekly sitcoms, etc. I just refer back... Reminds me of the sections at Blockbuster and makes searching so much easier, with less data loss at any given moment.
Is that you Ken?? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)