Should I upgrade from Model 6000u to Model 811

FAiello

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I purchased a Model 6000u in April of this year for $499 and I am debating if I should bite on the Model 811 deal for $149. What advantages are there to the new Model 811 other than DVI which I do not need since I have a Mitsubishi RPTV and it does not have DVI, or Open TV which I do not use on my Model 4900. Is there any chance that the Model 211 will ever come out? I do not think I want a DVR, so no sense waiting for the Model 921. Does anyone know how long this promotion will last?

I too am wondering if the upgrade is worth it now. I do have a DVI input on my Samsung TV, but the 6000 HD picture via component output is stunning already, especially in DISH HD!

I had some hope that OTA digital channels might "lock" into the stations better on the 811, but haven't heard abou this yet.

The promotion lasts until January 31 2004 so wait a week or two to see how everybody likes the 811 and then buy it and sell your 6000 on ebay you will get at least $400 from it. I am buying the 811 just for the 48 hour guide that is going to be in it.

The promotion lasts until January 31 2004 so wait a week or two to see how everybody likes the 811 and then buy it and sell your 6000 on ebay you will get at least $400 from it. I am buying the 811 just for the 48 hour guide that is going to be in it.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of waiting until I saw some screen shots, but CSR could not tell me how long this promotion is going to last. How did you find out the date?

That is the date listed on the Dish Business Rules for the 811 upgrade. :)

I will do my best to post screen shots tonight. With this snow storm I should be able to find the time. :)

Scot, any screen shots yet?

Scot, any screen shots of the 811 yet? Or were you, like me, to busy shoveling snow, we had 36" in my town. I only lost signal on 61.5 bird during this blizzard not bad!! can't wait till everything moves to 110.

As one that's upgrade from a 6000+8VSB+8PSK, I'd say to wait until the last moment to decide. Right now there are too many things wrong with the 811 to make the swap worth it, IMHO. You'd loose the aspect ratio control on the 811 and the EPG isn't at the 2 days as promoted by Dish, plus a bunch of other items. I'd say to wait and see if Dish send out new software to fix these items or does it end up being like some of the other promises that they haven't delivered on before spending your $'s.

The deal really is to good to pass up no matter what the issues, you are not going to see any HD STB for $150 for quite a while yet. As long as all the issues can be corrected in software, and many are already recognized as needing to be fixed are are planned for future or impending release, you just have to be patient, or hang onto your 6000 for a while if issues crop up until they get resolved.

If you don't have a 6000, and its your first HD STB ever, then you may have a choice, pay me now or pay me later. Its possible that later might be more.