Should I upgrade to an 811?

blfuller

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Washington State
I have been a dish customer for about 8 years. I started out with a 5000 unit and still have it. The delays on the program guide are driving me crazy.

Mainly I would like to upgrade to a newer unit that would have the guide update a lot faster. I do have HDTV capable televisions, but I'm not sure if I want to add the HDTV package from dish. Can I install the 811 and get my local HDTV channels via antenna and not subscribe to the HDTV from dish? If I like what I see maybe in the future I can add HDTV from Dish if I really like it. Thanks.

I actually pulled my OTA channels off of the 811 because of the bsod and cancelled the hd package. I miss having the ota channels on the guide, but not the bsod. There was not enough hd content to justify keeping the hd package.

If you can get a big discount on the 811 it might be worth taking the HD package for a year (is the 6 month free offer still on?) ... You could pay $60 (if offer still on) or $120 for the year subscription and get the 811 cheap. Or you could do the $15/month rental option where you rent the 811 for $5/month (same as extra receiver anyways) plus the $10/month HD pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)