Should I upgrade?

xgdavis

Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
I currently have a Hopper 2 with 3 Joeys.
Should I upgrade to the H3 now? Or should I wait a little longer?
There is nothing wrong with my H2, I just want to know if it is worth the hassle.
TIA.

Wait.

H3 sadly, has problems. OTA certainly is not working properly. And IIRC the 4x FF has been dropped. Someone else can chime in about if there's still 1/4 and 1/15.

Well certainly If I had a single H2 and 3 joeys, I would definitely upgrade.

Im assuming none of those Joeys are Super Joeys?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

And IIRC the 4x FF has been dropped

Yup, it was taken out of the Carbon UI software. Once the H2 gets the new UI (assuming Dish does force the new UI on them at some point), they will lose 4X as well. I know I miss it. Apparently we had too many FF/REW options and it had to be "simplified" so not to confuse the masses. :rolleyes:

Wait.

H3 sadly, has problems. OTA certainly is not working properly. .
Yes, and why I will not upgrade until resolved. So if OTA recording is important, NO. Case in point, Tribune has blacked out both my CBS and FOX affiliates. I rely on manual OTA timers to get what I miss... not to mention upcoming NFL. The H3 would be a TOTAL disaster for me.

Other than the ota not working properly, there is not too much wrong with the hopper 3 . Some quirky, minor irritations like if you create a timer from the guide , you have to go back in and try to edit the timer to specify folder, priority etc. Often times you have to go into the dvr and then timers to do this or the receiver will move the wrong timer in priority list. ( The hopper 2 with sling , will push up the timer screen right when you create it, so you can edit it right then and not have to do the extra steps.) The ota only works for me if I set an auto tune timer to the show right before the show I want to record. It then records without issues. A work around but it really needs to be fixed. I hope that by this fall or the end of this year they will get this one thing fixed. The hopper 3 is going on a year come next January and it really should have these bugs and minor glitches fixed by then.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am still new to Dish. How do I know which Hopper I have and when you all say everyone should upgrade, do they charge you for this or do I juts ask? Thanks,

Wendall

I am still new to Dish. How do I know which Hopper I have and when you all say everyone should upgrade, do they charge you for this or do I juts ask? Thanks,

Wendall
What does it say on the front it it? Probably a Hopper with Sling or H3. If you are new, you would likely not be eligible for free upgrade until your contract is up.

Wendall
Look at the front top left of your Hopper. If it simply says 'Hopper,' you have a Hopper 1. If it says 'Hopper with Sling,' you have a Hopper 2. If it says 'Hopper 3 with Sling,' and has a red stripe around the bottom you have a Hopper 3....

Thanks Bobby.

I have Hopper 3 w/sling so looks like I have the new one. Not a fan of the remote at all, the rest is great.

Wendall
The model 40.0 remote works fine with H3, and many posting here prefer it to the model 52 that came with the H3.

You can purchase one from Dish for $20. I've seen listings on eBay for $15 or less. Make sure it's the 40.0 remote as earlier models use a different communication mechanism and won't work with any of the Hopper receivers.

Look at the front top left of your Hopper. If it simply says 'Hopper,' you have a Hopper 1. If it says 'Hopper with Sling,' you have a Hopper 2. If it says 'Hopper 3 with Sling,' and has a red stripe around the bottom you have a Hopper 3....

And if it says "Hopper 3 with Sling" and there's NO red stripe- quit drinking and go to bed.
;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok, hope this is my last question about this issue but no promises.

Dish told me they have a 52.0 remote, voice controlled, and they also said I could buy a fancy universal remote that would work with my Hopper 3/sling

Suggestions? Are there any universal remotes that look like a tablet that is compatable ? These very old eyes looking at all options.

Thanks,

Wendall

Ok, hope this is my last question about this issue but no promises.

Dish told me they have a 52.0 remote, voice controlled, and they also said I could buy a fancy universal remote that would work with my Hopper 3/sling

Suggestions? Are there any universal remotes that look like a tablet that is compatable ? These very old eyes looking at all options.

Thanks,

Wendall
It's the 50 remote that is voice controlled. The 52 is a different animal. They look similar and act the same, but the 52 doesn't have voice or a touch pad. There are Harmony remotes from Logitech that work just fine with H3s.

Reactions: navychop
I second the suggestion you look into Logitech Harmony remotes.

I believe with a Harmony Hub you can use a smartphone or tablet as a remote.

I have the Harmony Elite which uses the hub. The Harmony software for tablets/phone is superb! At least on iOS (Apple). I don't have the software on Android but would assume it is about the same.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

I just bought a lot of five 40.0 remotes on ebay for $40. So there are good deals out there. Hopefully they actually work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)