Should I Use Native Mode? HR22-100 via HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SBacklin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
If I remember correctly, using native mode is when the box will revert to 720p, 480i/p or 1080i mode(s) whenever which is appropriate by the signal. Right now, I have native mode off with it staying on 1080i. Is the box trying to upconvert all things to 1080i when I do this? Should I be using native mode?

I have a 40in Samsung 1080p LCD. I seem to notice there are times when the picture gets grainy. Sometimes a slight ghosting effect ONLY when usually against dark backgrounds. I was just wondering if the above mentioned could be a cause? I would appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

I personally rather have native off and have the resolution set to 1080i. it looks better to me for sd and HD.plus native mode tends to slow down channel changing. For the sd channels i made sure that the dvr or receiver didn't stretch the picture to fill the screen. looks worse to me.

I have Native on with my Sony 52" LCD 1080p. I think the TV does a better job of upconverting. Whether to turn Native mode on or not depends on the TV you are using and what looks better to you.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will toy with it and stick with what is better.

A lot depends on how quickly the TV can switch modes when using native. On my older RPTV, if I use native then the TV flashes during the re-sync to the changed resolution. I just leave naive off and output everything as 1080i.

I just leave it on Native. Yes there is a little bit of a delay between changing channels, but at least you're getting the original resolution.

As others have said, it all depends on how good the deinterlacer/scaler is on your TV. I generally leave it on native resolution because I noticed that when I leave my HR22 to deinterlace the 480i channels, streaks and banding occasionally show up. I don't get this when I let the TV handle both the deinterlacing and the upscaling.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)