Should I wait?

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Have been really getting the urge to buy a HD-A1 since reading the reviews here. My HD monitor works and looks great (to me) but it is a few years old and it's best output is 1080i. My question is if I'd just be wasting the HD-A1's capabilities? Should I hold off and upgrade the monitor first?

A second question concerns my current OPPO player. Up to today I have had the output set at 1080i because that's the maximum resolution of my monitor. But when I change the setting to 540p I can't tell much difference. Is there a difference between the two outputs? Which one makes better sense to use?

cebbigh said:
My HD monitor works and looks great (to me) but it is a few years old and it's best output is 1080i. My question is if I'd just be wasting the HD-A1's capabilities?
Not really. 1080i is the best HD-A1 can do. So, it should be a good match. The only problem you may encounter down the road is that if your monitor doesn't have DVI or HDMI input and only has component, then it is possible that some discs in the future will not allow full resolution on your monitor. However, this is not supposed to happen for a few years, so you should be fine for now, and by then you might be ready to upgrade your TV set anyway.

A second question concerns my current OPPO player. Up to today I have had the output set at 1080i because that's the maximum resolution of my monitor. But when I change the setting to 540p I can't tell much difference. Is there a difference between the two outputs? Which one makes better sense to use?
Since the source (DVD) has only 480 lines of resolution, upconverting (to whatever higher resolution you choose) can only do so much. You can't really make HD signal out of SD source. That's probably why you don't see much of a difference between different resolution settings. Now, if you do get HD-A1, make sure to set it to 1080i: it seems to work best on this player, no matter what native resolution your monitor has.

Thanks Ilya, that's helpful. The set does have one DVI input (using it for the OPPO now). And my Onkyo has 5.1 analog inputs so no additional equipment needed besides the purchase of the HD-A1. Now I'll have to mull it over if I can justify costs, but you've clarified the technical part.

That makes sense regarding not seeing much difference between 1080i and 540p off the OPPO. I do actually see some drop off at 480p. Perhaps there is a difference between 1080i and 540p depending on the quality and characteristics of the DVD recording? But rather than drive my family crazy switching back and forth I think I'll just leave it at 1080i.

Just a guess...native resolution of your TV

cebbigh said:
Thanks Ilya, that's helpful. The set does have one DVI input (using it for the OPPO now). And my Onkyo has 5.1 analog inputs so no additional equipment needed besides the purchase of the HD-A1. Now I'll have to mull it over if I can justify costs, but you've clarified the technical part.

That makes sense regarding not seeing much difference between 1080i and 540p off the OPPO. I do actually see some drop off at 480p. Perhaps there is a difference between 1080i and 540p depending on the quality and characteristics of the DVD recording? But rather than drive my family crazy switching back and forth I think I'll just leave it at 1080i.

I am guessing that even though your TV accepts a 1080i signal, it is downconverted to the set's native resolution which is probably 720P? Again just a guess.

I notice even with my 2006 Plasma, that if I send it a 1080i signal HDMI 1.1), it does not look as crisp as a 720p signal (the set is 720p native)

gizzer777 said:
I am guessing that even though your TV accepts a 1080i signal, it is downconverted to the set's native resolution which is probably 720P? Again just a guess.

I notice even with my 2006 Plasma, that if I send it a 1080i signal HDMI 1.1), it does not look as crisp as a 720p signal (the set is 720p native)

Your post is true for most HD feeds. However, in the case of HD DVD, the medium is encoded in 1080p and output at 1080i. Setting the player to output 1080i yields the best image quality for any display. Let the display do the work.

We just added a 4 year extended warranty deal for the HD DVD player.

-Robert

I have been very happy with the HD DVD. I bought the player from valueelectronics when it came out. The only issue I would have now about buying the player again is how long until version 2 comes out with faster loading times and 1080p output? Of course you can always get the current one and next year or so, hopefully there will be a sub $200 one with 1080p...

How about waiting for Version 3? There's always going to be something better out there on the horizon, especially with the new bleeding edge technology.

Even if in 6 months a $200 player came out (not likely), still thats 6 months of some of the best HD content I have seen, all for $300 (only $50/month). I'd say thats probably worth the risk.

-John

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Your post is true for most HD feeds. However, in the case of HD DVD, the medium is encoded in 1080p and output at 1080i. Setting the player to output 1080i yields the best image quality for any display. Let the display do the work.

We just added a 4 year extended warranty deal for the HD DVD player.

-Robert

How long is the wait period on the HD-A1?

You know, while I respect & appreciate those "sitting on the fence" waiting to see how the "format war" plays out or waiting to see what the next generation player costs or does performance-wise, I respectfully suggest:

- Everything I have read or heard about the next generation HD DVD player from Toshiba will focus on lower cost production and mass production facilities outside of Japan (China or SE Asia). They're launching HD DVD in Europe this fall, and then have to compete with the $600 BD player (PS3) before the holidays. They'll need to produce the next generation player on a much larger scale.

- While I believe the "Toshiba is selling the HD DVD player at a loss of $200 per unit" is a bunch of bunk, I do believe the RCA/Tosh A1 player is the best value in CE equipment available in a long time. They're rock solid, assembled exclusively in Japan for strict quality control. They're almost over-built with all the hardware / components.

I went with the XA1 player in early May (from ValueElectronics) and consider it a bargain, the best bang for the buck I've spent on my home entertainment system in a long time. If it were to do it all over again, I'd pickup one of the current generation players in a heartbeat. :up

cebbigh said:
How long is the wait period on the HD-A1?

Our large July allocation of HD-A1s is in-transit to us. We are expecting delivery this Friday or no later then Monday, July 24. All orders ship the same day we receive our allocation.

HD-XA1's are in stock for immediate delivery.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Our large July allocation of HD-A1s is in-transit to us. We are expecting delivery this Friday or no later then Monday, July 24. All orders ship the same day we receive our allocation.

HD-XA1's are in stock for immediate delivery.

-Robert

I placed an order with ValueElectronics (online, not by phone) for an HD-A1 today.
Looking forward to it!

I appreciate the input from all that helped me along towards the decision for purchase. I know if I waited the price would have dropped but there is something to be said for lost time of enjoment. I'll probably sell my OPPO on Ebay. And I have not really gotten as much fun out of the movie packs as I used to get from renting/buying standard DVD's. DVD's (and laserdiscs) used to be the heart of my home theater. HD changed that. Now HD DVD will bring it back full circle.

Last edited:
cebbigh said:
I appreciate the input from all that helped me along towards the decision for purchase. I know if I waited the price would have dropped but there is something to be said for lost time of enjoment. I'll probably sell my OPPO on Ebay. And I have not really gotten as much fun out of the movie packs as I used to get from renting/buying standard DVD's. DVD's (and laserdiscs) used to be the heart of my home theater. HD changed that. Now HD DVD will bring it back full circle.

Congratulations! :hatsoff: Enjoy it, I know you will.

Now you need to stock up on HD DVD's to enjoy. I've bought about half the HD DVD releases, from Amazon.com. After you buy 3 HD DVD's, you get a 10% discount on all HD DVD's for the rest of the year. Netflix has been great for HD DVD rentals. There's no additional charge for HD DVD's. There's a coupon in the A1 box for a free 30 day trial or, if you're already a Netflix member, you can use the coupon to get 1 month free.

I've yet to see a poor quality HD DVD, but my favs so far have been:

Sci-Fi - Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity
"Older" Films - Unforgiven, Apollo 13, Enter the Dragon
"Newer" Films - U-571, Van Helsing, Bourne Supremacy

Alot titles more coming out this fall! :hungry:

Thanks CochiseGuy. I reactivated my Netflix account late Wednesday and rented Serenity (never seen it) and Apollo 13. They were in my mailbox Friday. I'll look for that coupon in the A1 box. I'll check out Amazon too. Really looking forward to getting the A1 now.

HDMI DVI Cable (monoprice $5.03) and 5.1 SACD/DVDA Audio Cable Set (Buy.com$36.99) both arrived today. Really helpful that other people on this site pointed me that way. Think it saved me a good chunk of change.

The HD-A1 expected arrival is Monday 7/31.

The HD-A1 arrived today. I got it hooked up but didn't have enough time after getting home from work to really get to know it. Having five kids sure can sure keep you going sometimes. First impression is that it has a slight edge over the OPPO for upconverting. But I am sure there is a lot there that I just can't get to tonight. I do have questions about the analog audio that I'll need to figure out. And also about sizing the image to fill a 16x9 screen (the OPPO made that easy). Will be reviewing the posts because I'm sure that most of what I'll encounter in the first few days has been talked about here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)