Should I worry about overheating on my 722k?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have my 622 in a entertainment cabinet with glass doors and I always leave the door open to keep my 622 from overheating. But I'm upgrading to a 722k on Friday and was told by the installer that the 722k runs much cooler than the 622's. Can anyone verify this? Any chance I can get away with closing my cabinet door now? By the way, the back of the cabinet is completely open.

I have my 622 in a entertainment cabinet with glass doors and I always leave the door open to keep my 622 from overheating. But I'm upgrading to a 722k on Friday and was told by the installer that the 722k runs much cooler than the 622's. Can anyone verify this? Any chance I can get away with closing my cabinet door now? By the way, the back of the cabinet is completely open.

My 722K runs just as hot as my 722. You really should get a small fan to keep air circulating rapidly

Do you know that you can check the temperature of the hard drive by using the setup menu? Select Menu-6-3 (diagnostics), then select Counters. Use the Page Down button on the remote to scroll down the Counters list until you get to the hard drive internal temperature. If you monitor this you can get an idea if you need to use an external fan for extra cooling. BTW, if you do add an external fan, or do anything else to reduce the temperature, it takes about a whole month for the average temperature reading to stabilize to its new value.

My 722 was in an open cabinet and the average temperature was about 130F. This was about the limit for a hard drive to run reliably. I added an external USB fan and now the average temperature is 109F (much better).

Last edited:
top tip of the day/week/month/year.....

always, always ,always keep the VIP receivers (and probably anything that comes along more advanced) as cool as you can .

My 722 get toasty without a side fan, i may add another soon.

i lost 722 after 23 months,i dont want to lose another.

keep it as cool or cooler than your 622.

just my 2 cents

My 622 is also enclosed in a glass cabinet so I've used a Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan for at least a couple of years to keep it cool. I just open the doors when the house gets pretty warm. I've mine on the left side blowing air out near my external hard drive. I only wished the second USB port was not in the front so my ext. HD cord would not be exposed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)