Shows and movies on an unused DVR?

lwilbur

Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Just curious as I am possibly getting ready to switch a single tuner DVR with a dual. Do the movies remain accesible on the unused DVR even if my account doesnt have that receiver as being used? In other words could i just plug it in attach it to a tv and watch the taped movies or is it a proprietary thing where I cant use the DVR software if not registered as a receiver being used with dish?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys...:welcome Unhook it from the Coax first, hook up your dual tuner Dvr then have E* de-activate the old, and activate the new... ( I had a 501 that the tuner died in and could access all recorded programs until I sent it for a replacement)

How do they de-activate it if it's not connected...Doesn't something inside the box need programmed so you can't just take the box to someone else's house, hook it up, and it works fine?

With my 921 I was able to view previously recorded programming while my receiver was not connected to the dish. Bear in mind if I lost AC power to this unit it would need to reboot and that may require connection to the dish, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I do know connection to the dish (even if the unit is deactivated) is required to use it for receiving digital SD/HD OTA channels. And those channels can even be recorded.

for the 500 series, the card auto deactivates without a sat connection after awhile, i think its 2 weeks.

you might get a error message but you can watch previously recorded shows on a deactivated box

i recently watched some old shows left by a prevoious owner on a box i bought as a back up.

If you LEASED your box it must be returned or they will charge you a hefty fee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)