Shows not being recorded

gpguitarman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2014
I have some timers set to record new shows only, but sometimes I will skip the recording due to conflicts. The guide says it will record the next one, but it doesn't. The next day when I look, it will either say "skipped not a new episode", or " event skipped by user". It has been occurring for some time now and it happens every time. I have the latest update, 506. I use to love the hopper, but, these past few months have been very discouraging and frustrating.
Another problem I have is the Joey has been having trouble from time to time finding the hopper. It has become more frequent. Resetting the hopper solves the problem, but, why should I have to reset the hopper to watch TV. Again, very frustrating.
While I'm at it, a few more things. When you do a search and than view the listings of the epidoes, I will scroll through it and set it to record an episode. After doing that, it will jump up to the top, which means scrolling through the list again. It may seem trivial, but when there may be 40 or so episodes, it can be annoying scrolling down the list again.
Next problem, when looking at the programs on the DVR, than clicking on a show with multiple recordings, if I sort the shows either by episode number or "A to Z", some of the shows disappear.
Next problem. Sometimes when watching a recorded show, I will hit the skip forward button a couple of times and it will jump to the end of the show. The strange part is that I will have to start the show again and I will just ff til I get to the part of the show where I left off, sometimes it works ok, other times it will act as if the part where I left from, is the end of the show, even though it will say there is still " x" amount of minutes left.
Overall, I like the hopper, but it seems every time they try to improve it, things just get worse. All I want to do is be able to watch TV without going through any trouble. Is that too much to ask for?
BTW, I have the hopper w/sling, one joey and one super joey.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: electriclarryland
My good guess all these bugs are due to them trying to make the 2 hopper integration work in the future.
It seems they are introducing new code breaking other things along the way.

...When you do a search and than view the listings of the epidoes, I will scroll through it and set it to record an episode. After doing that, it will jump up to the top, which means scrolling through the list again.

I hear ya, but Dish doesn't. This one has been a frustration for a very long time. There are areas where you do something at a specific point in a list then when done Dish developers decided the customers really wanted to go back to the top of the list. I think that when you select something then let's say delete it the programming loses the pointer, barfs and then reverts back to the top of the list. But not an insurmountable programming issue to fix and be done with it.

One of my pet peeves is that for going through the show icons there is no "to bottom" function. BUT there is a "to top" function. It's late but if I remember correctly, if in a long list the rewind (not skip back) button takes you to the top of a list. You would think then that the forward button would then be the opposite and take you to the bottom of a list. Nope. So for those of us with lives that can't watch TV all day and build up recordings, those long lists suck if you want to watch a show with a title that begins with a letter near the end of the alphabet. It would take maybe 15 minutes of coding and validation to get it to work right. Guess they are "too busy" to improve the user experience.

...and, if I recall there are 1 or 2 menus somewhere within the Dish environment where the forward button DOES go to the bottom of a list! Go figure.

On many of the program listings you can use Page Up and Page Down, usually by 8 with 1 for overlap.
For the My Recordings icon view it moves up/down 10 shows--2 rows of 5.
It is annoying that it jumps to the top after a delete or some others.
That happens less now than before. It will stay in place for some of the icon views.
Another to try is to select Edit, select shows, and Autoplay. (Just trying this now myself.)
-Ken

I have all of those quirks going on with my Hopper too. The one that really bothers me that you didn't list is on the Joey when I push skip back it's supposed to go back 10 seconds. Mine goes back 30 and when it gets back to the part where I pushed the skip back button (the part I wanted to see over again!) it automatically jumps to live TV. This only happens when I use skip back. If I use rewind it's fine.

My Hopper missed last night's Murder In The First show for the second time. The original show was cancelled due to conflicts and it was rescheduled to record at 12:58AM. It didn't record and the 12:58 AM timer disappeared from the daily schedule. I've also lost Falling Skies episodes under similar circumstances.

My hopper with sling has been missing recordings after midnight from shows which, were skipped earlier in the evening due to priority conflicts. It's really getting old to set a backup recording on my second hopper to catch a recording, that should have been recorded when the recording was skipped due to a priority conflict. Dish needs to fix these problems which have been ongoing far to long, or hire programmers that can.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)