Showtime

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
I'm still not sure why we are supposed to tell everyone when we drop programming or have to announce to everyone if we are going to switch to someone else because they promised that your bill would be $1.27 cheaper a month for 12 months then you will jump to someone else, but I guess it was written in the fine print when I signed up for this site and just missed reading it.
So with that said, I thought I would share with everyone that at 9:13 this morning I dropped my Showtime programming from my Dish account. It was with great sadness and trepidation that I made the decision to terminate my ties with Showtime, but now that Queer as Folk is over, there really wasn't any point in me continuing the relationship with this set of movie channels. I know that some will say that I was being to hasty and I'm not giving Showtime a chance, that they have many good movies and programs. Others will say that I have no loyalty to Showtime for all those many hours of mindless movies from the early and mid 90's that we have all grown to tolerate. I think they even showed Risky Business a few weeks back! I'm sure some will say that by my dropping the programming I am just giving Charlie license to continue to not carry ESPNU or YES or the Needle Point Channel, that by Dish losing that extra $11 a month from my bill that they will stop being profitable and cause the earths crust to implode, but I am doing what I have to do!
Again, I'm not sure why it is required to announce this, but since it seems that everyone else does... ;) :D ;)

I just want everyone to know that I am not changing anything. Am I doing the right thing???? I lost some sleep once thinking about MPEG4, I think (therefore, I am, I think!). How will I deal with obsolete equipment... And what about MPEG5 and 6 jumped over 7 and 8, 9? What if the next compression does not begin with MPEG? What will I do THEN?

Besides, Dish prorates the bill and I can never figure out if all twelve months have 28 days or not ( some have 30 or 31) when I change something any day except on my billing date.

Slamminc11, you crack me up. Smile, Wink and Chortle.

Slamminc11 said:
So with that said, I thought I would share with everyone that at 9:13 this morning I dropped my Showtime programming from my Dish account. It was with great sadness and trepidation that I made the decision to terminate my ties with Showtime, but now that Queer as Folk is over, there really wasn't any point in me continuing the relationship with this set of movie channels. I know that some will say that I was being to hasty and I'm not giving Showtime a chance, that they have many good movies and programs. Others will say that I have no loyalty to Showtime for all those many hours of mindless movies from the early and mid 90's that we have all grown to tolerate. I think they even showed Risky Business a few weeks back! I'm sure some will say that by my dropping the programming I am just giving Charlie license to continue to not carry ESPNU or YES or the Needle Point Channel, that by Dish losing that extra $11 a month from my bill that they will stop being profitable and cause the earths crust to implode, but I am doing what I have to do!
Again, I'm not sure why it is required to announce this, but since it seems that everyone else does... ;) :D ;)

Slam,

Dish carries channels and then resells then to you, if you think a premium package isn't a good value for you then cancel it. Personally I think Showtime is the WORST of the 4 premium services.

Very little in terms of new Decent Movies and not even one per week like HBO and Starz.

Dish gave a free preview of Showtime to select Subs, and I was one of them, for 31/2 months a couple years back and I NEVER EVER watched Showtime except for one Series and that got cancelled it was a SCIFI series can't remember the name. I still look at the listings for Showtime and they STINK week in and week out.

Cancel Showtime if you want nobody is holding a gun to your head. But to try to Blame Dish for the content on a channel that they have no decision making power is ridiculous.

John

JohnL said:
Slam,

Dish carries channels and then resells then to you, if you think a premium package isn't a good value for you then cancel it. Personally I think Showtime is the WORST of the 4 premium services.

Very little in terms of new Decent Movies and not even one per week like HBO and Starz.

Dish gave a free preview of Showtime to select Subs, and I was one of them, for 31/2 months a couple years back and I NEVER EVER watched Showtime except for one Series and that got cancelled it was a SCIFI series can't remember the name. I still look at the listings for Showtime and they STINK week in and week out.

Cancel Showtime if you want nobody is holding a gun to your head. But to try to Blame Dish for the content on a channel that they have no decision making power is ridiculous.

John

It's so sad when someone doesn't get it! :( :no :confused:

Slamminc11 said:
... at 9:13 this morning I dropped my Showtime programming from my Dish account.
This is highly disappointing to me personally. Not just because I take everything Dish-related personally but because my co-workers have been speculating all week about your next programming change and I was in the pool for you dropping HBO, but not until after lunch!

Slamminc11 said:
I'm still not sure why we are supposed to tell everyone when we drop programming or have to announce to everyone if we are going to switch to someone else because they promised that your bill would be $1.27 cheaper a month for 12 months then you will jump to someone else, but I guess it was written in the fine print when I signed up for this site and just missed reading it...but now that Queer as Folk is over, there really wasn't any point in me continuing the relationship with this set of movie channels...

I hope you performed the secret deprogramming dance:smug

One thing you will miss is: WEEDS -- which is pretty funny.

jollygrunt said:
I thought about dropping Showtime after they cancelled "Dead Like Me", but I stuck it out and now "Weeds" is on and it's pretty good. :clap
Thought about Weeds, but I would be paying $11 a month to watch one show a week. Not worth the $$. Though I really can't say much, I did that with Queer as Folk for 5 years. Kicked in Showtime in the day before season started and turned it off the day after it ended. So I guess I did fall into that trap. Hell, for that $11 a month I'm saving, I can almost buy a 1/4 tank of gas for my car!
I just thought of something, I sure hope Dish doesn't think I shut off Showtime because they didn't talk about MPEG4 or adding more HD in the last chat. I would hate for them to think that I was jumping on the bandwagon with the 10's upon 10's of people who are pissed in that petition thread.

While I appreciate multi-channels of all the premiums (especially the west coast feeds), but I wish dish would offer a slimmed down package of just the core channel for hbo/cinemax/sho/starz... I'd like to see some of the movies, but don't want to spend $12 a month to watch the movie replay every day on one of the other channels...I have hbo/cinemax and I get a lot of the sho/starz movies on the TMC/encore channels, but i'd gladly pay another few bucks for 2 main sho/starz channels...

Only We Care What We Like

Showtime has the best origInal movies....(in my opinion)but in the end only WE care what WE like or why we are cancelling. It's a matter of preference. But it's alway interesting and sometimes amusing to hear the logic behind cancellations. (ie, "I'm canceling because the series is over????)

Tvlman said:
Showtime has the best origInal movies....(in my opinion)but in the end only WE care what WE like or why we are cancelling. It's a matter of preference. But it's alway interesting and sometimes amusing to hear the logic behind cancellations. (ie, "I'm canceling because the series is over????)

Since I am assuming that you are talking about me and beginning this post. 1) it was to poke fun at all the people who come on here and announce that they are leaving dish and their reasons for it. 2) It's really quite simple, the only reason I had Showtime was because of Queer As Folk, and when it was over there just wasn't any reason to continue to pay for a group of channels that I didn't watch. Plus I took the $12 a month I was saving and will help pay for a quarter of a tank of gas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)