Sick and Tired of Infomercial Channels

Rexorg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
North Central Indiana
I for one am getting fed up with E*s myriad infomercial channels. Was eagering looking forward to the WATER channel and lo and behold more infomercials, and nothing about boating, etc. I wish E* would just put all these channels in their own tier and just call them what they are--CRAP!

Rexorg said:
I for one am getting fed up with E*s myriad infomercial channels. Was eagering looking forward to the WATER channel and lo and behold more infomercials, and nothing about boating, etc. I wish E* would just put all these channels in their own tier and just call them what they are--CRAP!

Rexorg,

Then stop watching them. I'm not bothered by them as I don't watch them.

Set up a favorites list that doesn't include the channels you don't wish to see. Alternately use the lock feature on your receiver and lock the channels that you don't want to see.

John

so if you lock them out then you will never see them. They help keep your bill down, so I wouldn't complain too much!

Information channels contact providers and pay them to be on. I don't mind they are there as I just skip over them in the guide (and never included them in my favorites). My sister, thank the stars she doesn't stop by that often, cannot do without them and would turn them on whenever she gets the chance.

Yeah, I find my wife watching the one with the jewelry every so often. She even got sucked-in to buying a box of "gems" that were guaranteed to be worth more than the price. Led to a major argument. We had them appraised and it - surprise! - they were worthless. Fortunately she was able to return them for a full refund. I think she learned a lesson - there have been no repeats that I know of (I get all the bills). As long as she's watching them on "her" TV I really don't care. As others say, they help keep the price down for the stuff that matters. Now if that jewelry channel was offered in HD....hmmm....!

Rexorg, if you go to channel 101 they have instructions on how to use the remote to - change channels ..................:)

You're all missing the point I am making. I undertstand about why E* has infomercial channels. The point is E* is using titles for the channels to entice viewers to click them. If the banner says the channel is about water sports, or driving, or resorts and residences then the channels should have programs about the topics, and not how to get rich by reselling properties, or some sort of gadget, or vitamins. I am not talking about the channels that are clearly labeled such as QVC, HSN, etc. There are at least 13 channels that sell things 24/7. Nowhere does E* say that their packages contain infomercial channels. Now don't get me started about Sirius radio channels either. E* could use all that power to transmit all the channels in 5.1 that have it and all the HD channels in true HD.

P.S. I know how to make channel lists and how to lock out channels. Thank you.

Rexorg,

I am also big into boating. The thing is there really is not much programing about it. They have to fill the channel up with programming of some sort or it's not worth linking up. I just have my DVR set to record the things I want like Power Boat TV, and Offshore Classics. Other than that I never watch the channel.

The channels are in the shopping mall range, so it should be obvious..

I think you're just lashing out cause you fell for it ;)

Don't just lock the channels, after locking select the option to "Hide Locked". If you do this, you will never see them again. Not even in the ALL CHANNEL guide.

I use this to eliminate a number of annoying channels.

Tom Bombadil said:
Don't just lock the channels, after locking select the option to "Hide Locked". If you do this, you will never see them again. Not even in the ALL CHANNEL guide.

I use this to eliminate a number of annoying channels.

I have to try that.

BFG said:
The channels are in the shopping mall range, so it should be obvious..

I think you're just lashing out cause you fell for it ;)
Not true! I recorded a fishing show yesterday on the OLN or one of the outdoor channels, when I went to watch it last night is was an infommerical.

Are you talking about the 30-minute infommercials that a lot of the "cable" channels run late night (like on CourtTV from 4-9AM weekdays)? Those are also frustrating and sometimes one pops up when the EPG says regular programming should be there, so that might explain what happened in your case. I'm not sure what anyone can do about that specifically (guide/program screw-up) or about the informmercial periods in general unless the blocking features can become time-based. It's not a problem for me - I'm either working or sleeping most of the times when those 30-min. plugs are running. And I guess that too helps keep the price of programming down, so I won't complain much...

Last edited:
Rexorg said:
You're all missing the point I am making. I undertstand about why E* has infomercial channels. The point is E* is using titles for the channels to entice viewers to click them. If the banner says the channel is about water sports, or driving, or resorts and residences then the channels should have programs about the topics, and not how to get rich by reselling properties, or some sort of gadget, or vitamins. I am not talking about the channels that are clearly labeled such as QVC, HSN, etc. There are at least 13 channels that sell things 24/7. Nowhere does E* say that their packages contain infomercial channels.

Dish Network does provide that information at their consumer website. Clearly, if you're posting on here, you're aware of how to use that tool to find information. If you go to any package that includes those channels you'll see a misleading "Shopping" header. I guess it depends on your definition of clearly labeled. Also, there are a plethora of ways that have been suggested that Dish Network provides to you to make the choice to omit the channels that you don't want to see.

Finally, the late night (like after 3 AM) infomercials are broadcast by the provider only. Dish can't (well, financially, wouldn't) make up their own programming to fill the gaps for when cable channels are getting paid to show those infomercials--that's detmined by the broadcaster.

Last edited:
Jeff_R said:
Or possibly use some Preparation H. Depends on where the pain is....

preparationh.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)