HDMI Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I don;t think I have much of a choic because of the limited input on my TV (2 Componen ts and 1 HDMI)....

However, I have 2 questions.

1. Does HDMI really make a Noticiable diffrence while watching High Def?

2. Is there anywhere you can get cheaper HDMI cables? Circuit City and WalMart are asking like $70.00 bucks for 12 ft of wire

monoPrice.com sells reasonably poriced cables and also two HDMI switches - both work well and increase the number of HDMI inputs.

Also Best Deal Cables have been recomended by several members.

It's a digital signal. It either works or it doesn't.

Most have reported no problems with the cheaper cables....

vismich said:
Is there a diffrence in QUALITY withg HDMI brand cables?
That's a very subjective analysis. There will certainly be a difference between the two and it will probably be discernable to you. But which is "better" will be in the eye of the beholder, and will be dependent on several factors including equipment settings, program quality and content, ambient conditions, etc. I prefer the HDMI picture quality; some folks prefer component. With my 622/Sony TV and its current default settings I find the HDMI connection is a bit sharper, but the color depth is better on the component connection. YMMV. Why not connect both and make the comparision yourself? (I have both connected and cross-check occasionally, especially if one picture is having "problems".) If you buy your cables on-line to keep the cost reasonable this "both" option makes more sense...!

Bhhelms

Thanks for the info, but I meant is there a diffrence between the 80 dollar HDMI cable at Walmart and the $20.00 No name brand one on the web site given to me above.

There will be differences in the materials used and perhaps in the amount of shielding provided, but in the Grand Scheme of Things they all work pretty much the same as far as how well they handle the digital signals they carry. In short - as Bob M. said earlier they either work or they don't. So you won't see any difference in picture quality. (This may not necessarily be true for cables carrying analog signals, like component.)

Until the HDMI port failed on my 622, I had my Sony 57" hooked up via that cable. However, as other threads will attest, there is a big issue about the HDMI port failure, hope for your sake you don't have to join this club! Anyway, I went to the component cable ports, and do not see any difference. I would agree with bhelms' suggestion, hook up both types and judge for yourself.

Exact story for me. Although in order to make this work I had to use the component jacks that my DVD recorder had been using. I can record with it now, but have to watch DVDs on my XBox 360 until I eventually get it swapped out.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts