Side Bars on SD Channels

leighnjo

Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I just had StarChoice 530 installed today in Orlando. Everything seems to be working correctly except all non HD channels have black borders on the right and left sides. I know that HD channels transmitting a show produced in 4x3 force black bars to fill the screen. I am connected by HDMI through a DVDO VP-30 processor. Is there a setting I am missing which expands the SD channels to fill the 16x9 screen?

Everything seems to be working correctly except all non HD channels have black borders on the right and left sides.

That is because all SD channels broadcast in 4x3. What you are seeing is perfectly normal. If you want to fill your screen while watching SD programming, use one of your TV's "zoom" settings. But be aware that these settings will either a) distort the image, and/or b) cause a portion of the image to not be visible on your screen. You would be better off just leaving it the way it is. After all, that is the way it is intended to be seen.

There is an aspect button on the remote of the latest 530s with the new chipset.

However as stated above "be aware that these settings will distort the image"

I know on the 505 there is a little red button behind the StarChoice logo on the front of the reciever and after pushing the button several times I found the right setting that would allow the SD programs to auto resize to fill the screen w/o using any zoom buttons.

Just by looking at a picutre of the 530 case...it appears that there is a little door on the front of the reciever, so pop it open and give it a try.

My old cable box didn't have that setup and it was really a pain to change the zoom everytime I changed a channel between SD and HD.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to stretch the 4x3 SD feeds by settings on the VP-30. For HD feeds, the aspect button on the remote lets you get rid of the letterboxing of 4x3 programs broadcast over the HD channels. Works great. I know what I am doing causes the picture to be other than what was intended but I much prefer to view everything in the full 16x9.

Try using the red button under the flip down panel on the 505, set it to 0000 (native mode) and it will stretch the SD channels to 16x9.

Same thing as my DSR500 - soon to be upgraded. Red button allows me to have full 16x9 on SD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)