Side Dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tigerprowler

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Mallory's World
We are going to my parent's block party this Saturday. We are supposed to bring a side dish to serve to all the neighbors. Every year we go, it's the same old stuff... Pasta salad, baked beans, potato salad, jello salad. I want some ideas on something different to take this year. Any ideas?

Carrot Salad: (I won't give measurements, just eyeball it depending on how many are eating)

4 Parts Carrots - peeled and sliced
1 Part Green/Red Pepper - sliced
1 Part Celery - diced
Fresh Dill - minced
Fresh Garlic, minced
Salt
Olive Oil
Apple Cider Vinegar

Be generous with the Vinegar, salt and FRESH dill......let sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving

Healthy, Light and Delicious

ABT's:

Jalapeno, halved
Schmear inside of shell with cream cheese
Lil' hot dog smokie inserted into Jalapeno shell
Wrap in bacon and stick a toothpick through to hold together
Smoke at 225°F for about an hour

Assorted Crostini's:

Toast small artisanal pieces of bread
Dress with whatever (fresh mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, whatever's fresh and seasonal.)
Top with freshly coarse salt, pepper and olive oil

Roasted Corn w/ Sheep's Milk Cheese

6 ears of sweet yellow corn, unhusked
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 jalapeño, seeded, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1 cup finely grated Manchego (any sheep's milk cheese will suffice)
1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest

Preparation:

-Preheat oven to 450°. Roast unhusked corn on a baking sheet, turning occasionally, until heated through and crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Shuck corn and cut kernels from cobs. Discard cobs.

-Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add corn kernels and sauté until heated through and light-golden in spots, 3-5 minutes. Add butter; stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

-Transfer corn to a large wide bowl or deep platter; sprinkle jalapeño and crushed red pepper flakes over. Squeeze lime wedges over; sprinkle with cheese, chives, and lime zest.

I made this dish last week and it was phenomenal. Quick, easy and very flavorful. Sure to be a hit!

This brings a bit of a tear to my eye...

When I was young, and many of you know that was a very long time ago, my father introduced candied sweet potatoes to our traditional Thanksgiving table. In the beginning, as a youngster, I wouldn't touch that with a stick. I was convinced one year to just take a taste. I found that I loved them. I looked forward to Thanksgiving every year because it was the only time it came to our table.

Then I got married....

I'd been cooking Thanksgiving dinner for several years before I tied the knot and tried to carry on my family tradition as far as the sweet potatoes were concerned. Now that I was married, I had a new family to contend with. My mother-in-law had her own recipe for sweet potatoes and my kids loved it. My son looked forward to it. So, dad's recipe went into the archives for a future time.

38 years later....

My mother-in-law has moved into the great beyond a few months ago. My son mentioned that he won't get her sweet potatoes any longer. Yep, I told him, but I have something that my dad used to put together that he might like.

Only time will tell.............

I'm with HD MM's ABTs! But, various broccoli dishes also work well, and are more mainstream.

I'm from New Orleans, so we do red (KIDNEY!) beans and rice, or Hoppin' John, but seldom for Thanksgiving.

If you have a German, or I presume other strong ethnic shop, nearby they may have some interesting alternatives, esp if you have family members from that ethnic group. German Ginger Christmas cookies are far better than the US mega-store bought versions, and everyone loves them as a dessert selection. Just had one!

........When I was young, and many of you know that was a very long time ago, .......

QUIT SAYING THAT! You're making me feel downright almost elderly! ;)

BTW, good luck with the recipe shift. Let us know how it turns out.

QUIT SAYING THAT! You're making me feel downright almost elderly! ;)

BTW, good luck with the recipe shift. Let us know how it turns out.

hey navy, I'm 68, and if I am right you are few years younger, maybe several, than that. :) I'll get to try my transition at Christmas time. My daughter is a student and is not able to make it home for Thanksgiving. I always re-create that meal at Christmas because she says that it is her favorite meal of the year....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)