signal fluctuation DP301

barfo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
What is the normal amount of signal fluctuation? I am running a DP301, using an extra large dish to compensate for my edge of the footprint location. Signal strength is satisfactory. But it fluctuates a fair amount. On windy days, it will fluctuate 5 or 6 points as I watch it. But even on perfectly calm days it will fluctuate 2 or 3 points. In all cases I am talking about fluctuation during the few minutes that I am watching the meter. Are these fluctuations normal, or should I hunt for an offending tree limb?

If it only fluctuates on windy days then you got leaves in the way. Time to either cut down some trees / tree limbs or move the dish where there is no obstruction. It is normal to see a fluctuation of around 3% but nothing more than that.

On your remote, press menu, 6, 1, 1 then press select on "check switch"

Run the test and if it says "lnb drift detected" then your LNB is on its way out, otherwise the dish needs a re-point or foliage trimmed out of the way.

All good suggestions but my guess is that nothing is wrong. I used the solar conjunction yesterday and there were no shadows during or up to 5 minutes b4 and after the conjunction times, and it was a windy day. My dish flexes a bit on windy (>30mph) days, so that might account for they fluctuation of 5 or 6 points then. Still, the typical 2 or 3 point fluctuation on calm days seems a bit large to me. Maybe the edge of the footprint location and larger dish magnify the fluctuation a little.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)