Signal Issues 12-18 hours AFTER rain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigtotoro

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I've been having an odd issue with my HR-20/Slimline 5 setup, lately. Here in Houston, it rains quite often during the summer. With any significant rain, my sat goes out and stays out for 12-18 hours. I have 0's on 101, 103, and 99 but are ok on the few transponders I use on 110 and 119 (thank you ESPN HD). At about the 10 hour mark the signals on 101 start at about 15 and then creep back to watchability. I do not think I have a sat signal problem as 110 and 119 are between 88-100 on the signal strength meters. I originally suspected that the cabling job done by the tech was poor (SHOCKING!) and that condensation was seeping into the cables and all would be well when they dried out (12 hours later), but the fact that I have a perfect signal (on a limited basis) does not really bear that out. I'm in network tech support myself so I think I have a pretty fair troubleshooting mind, but any advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like there is some water getting into the LNB feed horns, or there is a bad cable/connector somewhere in line. Given the time that it takes for your system to come back on line, I'd suspect the former.

I concur with iwc8593.

Once a LNB dries out it will (sometimes) start to work again. When you have moisture in a fitting it will work until the copper center conductor corrodes out at the fitting, and then doesn’t work at all.

You said the 110 and 119 are always ok. The larger plastic cap on your lnb (the oval one) covers the 99 101 and 103. If you can SAFELY reach it, take a good look at it (for a crack). The other two round plastic caps cover the 110 and 119 lnb’s.

Without looking at it, can’t be sure. (standard disclaimer)

It sounds like there is some water getting into the LNB feed horns, or there is a bad cable/connector somewhere in line. Given the time that it takes for your system to come back on line, I'd suspect the former.

yep that sounds right

99 and 103 are pretty much dead. Most of my hi-def is gone. The soonest I can get one of the Direct Texas grease balls here is next Friday so I'll just suffer until then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts