Signal just died on me

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Dont know what to do. I had to make a service call, unfortunately I have to leave probably before they make it here, so is there anything I may do to fix this myself, because if not, Im going to have to go another WEEK without service.

I only remember getting an error message, something about a check switch or something of that nature.

Called tech support, went through the entire reboot the box thing, nothing.

On the system info screen, 119 has a big red X under it as if the dish cant get the signal.

I was asked to perform some test, and that is also what it ended up as... a red X under 119

If the dish is off alignment, (I dont see how it could be) I have no clue where 119 is pointed, so I wouldnt know how to repoint the dish..

Any suggestions fellas?

I am no expert, but I would try a few things...
Check cable connections on your unit, and at the dish/LNBF, and any switches you may have.
What type of dish/LNBF do you have? If it is a bad LNBF, they are easy to replace.
Tom in TX

If you have 110 and you're still getting a signal then it could likely be that the LNB for 119 has failed, since most dishes do both 110 and 119 on the same thingy.

look for obstructions in front of the dish. Look slightly to the right of where the dish is pointed, look for new tree growth. Check all your connections. Try every bit of wiring from the dish to the receiver. Any connections should be completely free of corrosion. If you look down inside of the connections, you should see white dialectric around the center conductor, it should not be brown or gray. Try switching the input side of your LNB (the thingy that sticks out on the end of the dish). Try switching receiver's if you have more than one. There's a million and one things that could be wrong, so check those and you'll have roughly 999,998

lol... man I did all of the box checking I could. Im going to go on the roof after work.

Thing is, I just had dish installed last month. It shouldnt be a corroded switch or anything because there hasnt been any rain in the last month or whatever.... in other words no reason for it to just corrode so soon.

There are no trees in the line of sight... funny thing is, I never had this happen to me with Voom and 61.5 is a very tough signal to receive on the west coast. Im in LA btw.

Did the dish installer run all new cabling from your dish to your tv?
Could just be bad equipment (receiver/lnb).
Might be something as simple as a bad ground block. I did an install one time during the snow and ice, got a trouble call for the NEXT DAY. Turned out the blue stuff inside the ground block had flipped on it's side and one of the stingers weren't making contact.

Yep, all new cabling. I wish I could go on the roof and look at the dish myself, but I dont have a ladder

I have the 811 and the 625

both worked just fine. 625 still shows my recorded shows and things of course

sucks to only watch things you've seen before over and over

yea man... it sucks keeps saying something about a switch and a sw-1 something

if all of your receivers are doing it, either the LNB, or if there is an external switch, died...
one of the other.
i'm guessin with just 2 receivers they just used a DPP Lnb, if not, and there is an external switch, you could bypass the switch and see if it works or not, that way you may be able to get at least one of your receivers working

KDRE said:
lol... man I did all of the box checking I could. Im going to go on the roof after work.

Thing is, I just had dish installed last month. It shouldnt be a corroded switch or anything because there hasnt been any rain in the last month or whatever.... in other words no reason for it to just corrode so soon.

There are no trees in the line of sight... funny thing is, I never had this happen to me with Voom and 61.5 is a very tough signal to receive on the west coast. Im in LA btw.
If you just had it installed last month then the installation is still under warranty. You have 90 days. Call dish back an tell them you want them to fix the problem, under the warranty.

birddoggy or anyone, can you explain this switch thing to me? Is it connected to the dish itself?

As far as the warranty, I've called them, but can only be here on the weekend before they can hook it up. No fam members are close enough to be here for me

I had the exact same problem occur roughly 2 weeks ago, i thought it was just dish interference but the problem got worse. I called Dish and had to initiate the $5.99 monthly warranty plan, and pay $29.95 for a technician visit. After testing the signal he discoverd that my 522 player was the cuprit, and replaces it with a new one. Now i need to have Dish refund my $29.95 since the receiver is still under warranty and is leased.

Suck because i lost about 20 hours of programming.

Funny as it may sound my 811 is working but still a no go for my 625.. you could be right

KDRE said:
Funny as it may sound my 811 is working but still a no go for my 625.. you could be right

Similar situation here, my 811 is still going strong. This is most likely your problem.

I have about 50 hours of programming. I can see the recorded portions, but that's about all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts