Signal on 118.7

bantonb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Florida
I am subscribed to the cricket pack and see they are moving Willow to 118. However, I have a couple of friends who live in Maine and they quit Dish because the signal was very weak and every time it rained just slightly, it would go out. Does anyone know what the signal strength is in Rochester?

If it's like Maine, then I guess I will be an ex Dish customer after 9 years.

I am subscribed to the cricket pack and see they are moving Willow to 118. However, I have a couple of friends who live in Maine and they quit Dish because the signal was very weak and every time it rained just slightly, it would go out. Does anyone know what the signal strength is in Rochester?

If it's like Maine, then I guess I will be an ex Dish customer after 9 years.
Depends on a couple of factors. At which latitude are your friends in Maine?
Also, if the antenna is poorly aligned, rain fade can be prevalent.
Got to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and type in their zip code to get elevation angles. You should also do this for your zip code as well.
As a matter of fact, you can type in your address. A Google map with an aerial view of your location. The site will give you elevation, azimuth and skew for the antenna settings. There is also a pointer "tool" on the page where you can click and tyhe site will place a "pointer" in the direction the antenna must point. This is will give you an idea if the western sats, including the 118.7 can be viewed from your property.

Sometimes it is just a matter of the reflector being peaked properly, especially with the latest reflectors that are looking at 3 or more sats.

However, Dish provides a larger reflector to receive the 118.7 signal as it is FSS and is at lower power than DBS. This solution works well in most of the US. I have heard that in some challenging latitudes Dish has provided an even larger reflector to receive 118.7 adequately. This single dish will also receive your other Dish programming.

I think one of the DIRT team can best assist you at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)