Signal Strength Bar Goes On and Off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Having problems locking and maintaining a good constant strength signal on any satellites Tps.

Am able to tune into a Tp, see most of the channels associated with that particular Tp, tune to a different channel on another Tp, signal strength bar blinks (turns green) for a split second and drops off. Try to go back to previous Tp and channels, signal strength bar as well as quality bar are blank (o).

This problem is present on both of the receivers microHD, and the X2 premium. I have cleaned all the connection to all the components, such as cables, have used switches, have also made straight connections, nothing seems to correct the problem.

The problem is present on the C band as well as the Ku band. Both LNBF are new (Titanium PLL 1KS, and a dual C band LNBF ESX 242. Any input or help is greatly appreciated.

NOTE..Tried go change the thread tittle to "Signal Strength Bar Goes On And Off" could not edit the tittle bar.

Thanks.

Maybe an intermittent cable? On the microHD, I believe zero signal strength means the receiver isn't seeing anything from the LNBF. Not even noise.

Is this a problem with Signal or Quality? If signal, check cables, switches, basically anything between the receiver and LNBF(s). Sometimes cables go bad for no reason, and still check fine with an ohm meter. Had a bad one recently between a diseqc switch and LNBF, had to track it down with a sat meter/receiver. Connections were dry and no signs of corrosion etc at the connectors. Just would not pass RF.

The cable seems alright, but will have to change it with another, to see if this correct the problem. Will do of first thing
tomorrow morning.

Are both receivers turned ON at the same time when this happens? It sounds to me like they are fighting each other.

Obvious 1st & 2nd question is: "Did it EVER work"? "What has changed since then"?

We need to know how you have it wired, including what switches and how each receiver is hooked into the whole system.

Fixed your title.
Yes give us a complete system run down, including switches etc.

Recleaned all the coax connections obtained better results with the signal strenghth, but still flaky at times. Also found out that the Gbox number counts were slightly off on the C band dish. Will reconnect both dishes to the switches and see if this is working as it should using the motor for Ku and the Gbox for the C dish.

Is there a length of coax that is common to both dishes? If so, I'd check that first.
If it was just one dish, one receiver, I'd suspect the polarity was somehow set bassackwards. That would explain the split second of good signal. But two receivers and two dishes? Dunno.

Is there a length of coax that is common to both dishes? If so, I'd check that first.
If it was just one dish, one receiver, I'd suspect the polarity was somehow set bassackwards. That would explain the split second of good signal. But two receivers and two dishes? Dunno.

Who can tell since he hasn't detailed his system to us as of yet, though we've asked a few times. We can speculate for weeks, but if we had some details I'm sure we'd nail it quicker.

Reactions: beavs2112
Think I'd be changing out some coax. Could be corrosion/rot where you can't see it. Between the shield and the body of the connector. Slowly flexing the cable while watching your S/Q meters may, or may not, disclose it's location.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I think that the problem was caused mostly by a bad coax connection... My system is not too complicated, The six foot dish is being moved by a Powermax PMA24 which is powered by a Gbox, and using a WSI ESX242 LNBF... The three foot dish is moved by a GeoSat GS120, and using a Titanium PLL-1KS LNBF... Both dishes coax are connected to a Dishnet SW21 multiswitch which replaced my Ecoda switch because the Ku side function of the switch died... From the SW21 the coax is exchanged and used between the microHD and the X2 Premium.

So far so good in receiving the programmed satellites but still not receiving some of the TPs from most of the satellites... Still looking aroung for a 10 foot dish to replace the six foot dish, and maybe I be able to get the TPs that I am not getting and missing.

Not changing the subject, BUT, if I ever come across a 10 foot dish or larger, will it be able to receive ALL of the "C" band satellites TPs?, or are there some that will always be not receiveable.

Thanks

?...........

Not changing the subject, BUT, if I ever come across a 10 foot dish or larger, will it be able to receive ALL of the "C" band satellites TPs?, or are there some that will always be not receiveable.

Thanks

ALL... When tuned to perfection!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That SW21 switch may be causing you problems. I have one here that I tried to use in the way that you are and it wouldn't work. The specs for it show it shouldn't work, but I tried it anyway. If you can't figure it out, try one dish at a time and see if they work seperately. If they do, I'd replace that SW21 switch.

Came across two "Gecen" SW-03/P 0/22Khz controlled switches, and the system is responding much better. The SW21 switch was working, but some times I had to turn the receiver off and on for the channels to come back on.

When using the SW21 switch, the signal quality seem to be much better than the Gecen switch, but the Gecen switch locks the channel much better. Hopefully this new switch last a while.

Thanks.

Reactions: . Raine
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts