Signal Strength, DP44, and Dish 1000 Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ashgrov

Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Just recently got a Dish 1000 so as to get Mpls HD locals from the 129. So I now get 4 satellites (61.5, 110, 119, and 129) with the DP44 switch. With the Dish 500 I got 100-110 signal strength from 110 and 110-120 from 119. I get about 10 points less than those readings on 110 and 119 now with the Dish 1000. Off of 129 I get 50-55 averages with a few 45-50's and a few 55-60's, depending on the transponder. The quality off coax I have (I have two different kinds of coax in use) makes a difference too.

I have four questions for the forum. (1) What is the signal strength below which the 508 and 211 receivers will fail to acquire. I'm thinking 40, but wanted to check. (2) With such low signal strength from 129, when those go below the minimum threshold, will my received fail all the sats and therefore I'll get zero channels, or do my other sats still come in, if they are above the minimum threshold. (3) What is the practical minimum strength one would want, to allow for weather, etc. I'm thinking 70 or above. (4) Lastly, any pointers to info on why on the same sat some transponders are stronger than others?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
ashgrov said:
(2) With such low signal strength from 129, when those go below the minimum threshold, will my received fail all the sats and therefore I'll get zero channels, or do my other sats still come in, if they are above the minimum threshold. (3) What is the practical minimum strength one would want, to allow for weather, etc. I'm thinking 70 or above.

If one or more sat drops below minimum receive threshold you will still receive the other sats. There is no interdependency.

Regarding strength, I can't say about 129. In my area (Los Angeles) the installers say the best to expect from 129 is around 60. I'm usually at around 64 tho' as you mentioned strength can vary, sometimes widely, between transponders. Same as you, I don't know why.

I just had a Dish Network 1500 dish set up last Sunday and I have noticed lower signal strength across the board on all the satellite positions. So far I have had no rain to see how signal strength will hold up to a heavy downpour. But I do have the 1500 set up to survive a close tornado.

Attachments

• DSC07031.JPG
    DSC07031.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 366
I just installed a dish 1000 today, well Friday in Michigan. Average signal strength for the 129 was from mid 70's to upper 80's and over 100 on the 110 and 119.

It does depend to some degree of your geographical location but I think you still should be able to achieve over 70 on all sat locations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)