Signal Strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
40's and up. Starts to pixelate/break up around 40 and doesn't stay locked on below 35-40. But you should never have signal anywhere near that. I don't know where you are but in the Northwest DISH1000s completely suck. 129 signal is 50s-60s. I've got a standard 500 DISH bringing in 119/110 with signal 90-100, and a 24" dish for 129 (that's as big as I could get my hands on.) 129 is coming in 70-90. Of course it has to be the transponders hitting in the 90s that dish doesn't have channels on. go figure.

FantasyChannel -- I'm in the Northwest and getting mid 50's on 129. I was thinking about picking up a Dish500 and pointing it toward 129. Do you think the 500 is big enough to make a difference over the existing 1000?

Macado,

I use a Dish 500 w/ I bracket for 129 and get pretty decent signal from 129. Some of the transponders are 80%+ strength, and the poorest in the 70s. When the 129 sat does its wobble, I still do lose Rave and Monsters channel. I'm located up in the NW, west of Seattle. Not having a 1000, I cannot confirm what the signal would be with it, but from reading other posts, I would approximate the Dish 500 is 10 points higher.

Mark

Dish 1000 Sat 129 Signal Strength with 622/211 Receivers

Your 10 points reduction estimate is just about right. I have a single Dish 1000 antenna connected to 622 DVR and a 211 receiver in the San Diego area. Signal strength on the 129 satellite ranges from 59-64 on both receivers, as it apparently drifts in its orbital slot. I have not experienced any complete dropouts on the RAVE channel, but I have some minor blocky video from time to time (about once every 8-10 minutes). I am mostly worried about reception from this bird during next winter's rain storms.

I also have a dedicated VOOM 20 inch dish pointed at the 61.5 satellite. The installer was only prepared to install a new Dish 1000 antenna, because he said he needed a DPP44 switch (not on his truck) to connect to my two new receivers. He also wanted an extra $250 to add this switch at a later date. Prior to letting him even continue with the Dish 1000 installation, I had him just connect the old VOOM dish up. The RAVE channel had an indicated signal strength of 97-99 points on the 211 receiver. Since the RAVE channel is carried on one of the weaker transponders, I suspect that signal level would pretty much eliminate winter rain fade on any of the 61.5 HD channels.

Does anyone know if the expensive DPP44 switch is really required for my installation to hook up my 61.5 dish? Would the much cheaper DP34 switch work for my two receivers? I can forego any reception of the weaker 129 satellite, as all of my needed channels are on 61.5, 110, and the 119 satellites.

The 34 should work. You'll need 2 cables running to the 622 however - the separator that allows single-cable connection will only work with DPP equipment. I have seen reports of folks buying the 44 for less than $100 (eBay?)

BTW - Why couldn't the installer have used a DPP twin on the 1000 and a DP single on your 61.5 dish, then 2 down leads from the twin, one to each receiver? The switch is in the twin... Check it out here: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/35#dual

(I'm not familiar enough with the D1000 to know all its angles...)

Bhelms,

Thanks for your suggestions and the informative installation/description manual link you posted. I am sort of a rookie on this stuff, but then so was the local installer guy who came out and installed the Dish 1000 antenna set up last week. During the installation, he called a supervisor who told him that the DPP44 switch would be required to support my two receiver installation using a separate antenna/LNB for the 61.5 azimuth satellite. I just wanted to use my existing VOOM 61.5 dish and LNB to replace the third LNB/129 signal source on the Dish 1000 antenna assembly. Based on my reading of the link you sent and your suggestions, I don't think that the DPP44 information received from the supervisor was correct.

According to the the first page on the link that you posted on the DPP Twin dual LNBF unit, it looks like a third orbital location antenna and LNB would simply plug into the third port (which is labeled LNB In) and an external switch such as the DPP44 would not even be needed to feed my 622 and 211 receivers. They would just be fed out of Port 1 and Port 2 from the Dish 1000 antenna, as they are right now.

Am I missing something here? If not, it's too bad my installer guy did not understand this aspect and that I did not have this technical information earlier. I have a total of 30 days to accept or reject my new Dish 1000 antenna installation that did not include the 61.5 satellite antenna that I was assured would be part of the installation.

The same first page on the link you sent (http://ekb.dbstalk.com/35#dual) goes on to state that the DP34 and DP21 switches are not compatible with the DPP Twin dual LNBF unit, but that a DPP44 could be used (if needed).

Can someone with Dish 1000 experience tell me what the minimum switch hardware setup would be to cable up my separate 61.5 antenna/LNB to my two receivers (211 in bedroom and 622 in family room), while obtaining Dish 1000 antenna LNB signals for these receivers from the 110 and 119 satellites?

D1000 include THREE LNBFs - for 119/110 and 129 - three separate outputs; all of them are DP, not DPP. So, connecting 61.5 ( must be DP too) you'll need DPP44 switch.

This subj was beaten to death here so many times; why not read first ? Start from official Dish manuals : D1000, DPP44, etc.

I just wanted to use my existing VOOM 61.5 dish and LNB to replace the third LNB/129 signal source on the Dish 1000 antenna assembly.

I think that BigSteve was proposing to disconnect the 129 cables on the Dish 1000 and replace those inputs with the 61.5 feed. That should work fine, yes?

In this case DP34 will be enough. Remember, some HD channels exist only at 129W ( check my posts with full lineup info of 61.5W, 105W, 118.75W, 129W and 148W for particular channel ).

Smith said:
D1000 include THREE LNBFs - for 119/110 and 129 - three separate outputs; all of them are DP, not DPP. So, connecting 61.5 ( must be DP too) you'll need DPP44 switch.

This subj was beaten to death here so many times; why not read first ? Start from official Dish manuals : D1000, DPP44, etc.

With all due respect this is not correct. My Dish 1000 came with a DPP twin for 110 and 119 and a DP single for 129. I moved the DP single to a Dish 500 using an I adaptor, pointed it at 61.5 and am feeding a 721 and a 622 with one cable to each via separators. No external switch is required. The DPP twin has an internal switch. 61.5 has all the content I had on 129 since my HD locals are on 110.

You right - probably morning rush :); the D1000 have DPP Twin and DP(129) connected into DPP Twin In. Huh ! Totally different picture. Anyway, I'm stand corrected.

rixhd said:
With all due respect this is not correct. My Dish 1000 came with a DPP twin for 110 and 119 and a DP single for 129. I moved the DP single to a Dish 500 using an I adaptor, pointed it at 61.5 and am feeding a 721 and a 622 with one cable to each via separators. No external switch is required. The DPP twin has an internal switch. 61.5 has all the content I had on 129 since my HD locals are on 110.
That's what I thought was possible in my first post (#6). I just wasn't sure what the D1000 included. I have the DPP twin on a D500 for 110/119 and a DP single on my old D300 pointed at 61.5. In my case I have 3 down leads into 3 of 4 inputs on the DPP44 switch, then 3 cables to 3 receivers, one of which is the 622 with a separator. I'm lucky they chose to install that 44 in early Dec. when the 811 was installed before the 44s became in short supply for a time. If they had used the 34 instead then I would have had to swap it for additional $$ for the 44 because I can't run a second cable to where the 622 is located...

Last edited:
Conflicting information on Dish 1000/DP34

Noremac and P Smith,

Thanks for the inputs; sorry for the late reply as I have been traveling a bit.

Yes, I was planning to use the 61.5 satellite feed from my previously installed VOOM antenna INSTEAD of the third LNB (129 feed) on the Dish 1000. All of the channels I need in San Diego are carried by the 110, 119 and 61.5 satellites.

Prior to asking any questions, I had done many searches but saw some conflicting answers on this subject on what hardware could be used for this purpose.

One of the conflicting answers was about the DP34 being usable with a Dish1000 antenna setup. The DishNetwork manual that I found here (http://www.dbstalk.com/specsheets/DISH1000_InstallationGuide.pdf) is pretty clear on page 9 on the fact that a DP34 CANNOT be used with a standard Dish 1000 antenna setup because the Dish 1000 uses a DishPro Plus Twin LNBF array for satellites at 110 and 119. I am not at home right now, but I believe the Dish 1000 that was installed at my house ten days ago uses this DishPro Plus Twin LNBF.

Can I connect a cable from a separate single LNBF/antenna which is oriented to the 61.5 satellite into the port labeled LNB In on the DishPro Plus Twin LNBF (see page 2 of the Dish 1000 installation manual)? Normally, this is where the external LNBF for the 129 satellite plugs into the DishPro Plus Twin LNBF. This would seem to work unless the DishNetwork antenna hardware is expecting some frequency and satellite ID information that is unique to the 129 satellite. This approach, if viable, would also eliminate the need for an external switch to deal with the three satellite feeds from two antennas. I can't find anyone who has specifically done this, so perhaps it is not possible.

I guess if this does not work, then the alternative would be to install the earlier DishPro LNBFs for the 110 and 119 feeds on the Dish 1000 antenna. Then the DP34 switch should work with these older LNBFs. The other alternative seems to be to use a DPP44 switch and have four LNBFs/satellites accessible. But this seems unnecessarily complicated and unneeded for my application.

At any rate, I think I will reject the installation during my 30 day trial and try to get the 61.5 antenna added in as it was supposed to be in the first place when I ordered the service.

For clarification here is my existing wiring:

OTA Antenna 1-->diplexer 1-->diplexer 2-->211 receiver OTA input (one wire from diplexer 1 output to diplexer 2 input)
110/119/129 LNB feed (Dish 1000)-->diplexer 1-->diplexer 2-->211 receiver satellite input

OTA Antenna 2-->622 DVR OTA input (separate OTA wire from antenna to 622)
110/119/129 LNB feed (Dish 1000)-->splitter-->622 DVR satellite inputs (tuner1/tuner2)

thanks, Steve

Last edited:
Don't worry about the expectancy - each time when you run Switch check new sat matrix will be build, and no requirement to keep particular satellite. If your programs reside on other sat, then it works.

BigTVSteve said:
I can't find anyone who has specifically done this, so perhaps it is not possible.

Did you see my post #12? Basicly, my configuration is the same as yours except that I moved my DP single from my Dish 1000 to my second Dish. If you find that your old LNB on your second dish doesn't work connected to the input of the Dish 1000 you can replace it with the DP single from your Dish 1000 and it will definitely work.

External 61.5 antenna/LNBF feed into Dish 1000/DishProPlus Twin LNBF assembly

Rixhd,

Thanks for the very concise and accurate input. You published your #12 post while I was creating my 1240PM post today, so I didn't see your post until right now. Anyway, that is exactly the information that I needed and I will give your suggestions a try when I return to San Diego (couple of weeks at this point).

My Dish 1000 also had a DPP Twin installed on it, just like yours. When the rookie installer did the trial hookup to my old VOOM dish ten days ago, he just used the VOOM LNB, too. It immediately generated the 97-99 signal strength to my new 211 receiver.

Your other suggestion is a good one. If I run into problems in plugging the VOOM LNB's cable into the LNB Input port of the Dish 1000's DPP Twin LNBF, I will re-locate the existing 129 LNBF over to the VOOM dish. Hopefully, the same Chinamen made both the VOOM and the DishNetwork feed assemblies and everything will line up physically.

I figured if I asked enough questions about the 61.5 lashup to a Dish 1000, someone who had "been there and done that" would give me the real scoop.

Thanks very much for your help and to the others who responded to my questions. Once I get it hooked up, I will post whether or not the 1 year old VOOM LNBF is compatible with the LNB input port on the Dish 1000's DPP Twin LNBF.

BigTVSteve said:
Rixhd,
... I didn't see your post until right now.

I suspected from your reply that you might not have seen my post. Glad we finally connected.

To clarify, when I said " it will definitely work" I was speaking electrically. Physically it may have problems mating to the Voom arm and may not match the reflector's geometry. If it doesn't work, you can always scrounge a Dish 500, get an "I" adaptor and install the DP single from the Dish 1000 on it like I did. I know that works. A Dish 300 should work also without the "I" adaptor.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Rixhd,

Thanks again for your informative response.

It will be about two weeks before I can connect the wiring and move the 129 oriented LNBF (if required) from the Dish 1000 antenna to my VOOM antenna, which is already aimed at the 61.5 satellite. I will report all electrical and physical compatibility results back to this thread.

Thanks for making this such a great forum!

Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)