Signed up w/ E* from D*.....

peteranton

Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
....install is tomorrow morning (2/12). I was with DirecTV for 5 years, and the current DISH promo was too hard to pass up with all new equipment: the 811 and the 522 (with features not offered w/D*).

My question is this: Is there anyone out there that made the jump to Dish from DirecTV and had the RCA DTC100 (and can compare it to the 811). What are your impressions? Also, I live in Cincinnati....anyone using DISH? Any differences from D* (i. e., weather performance)?

Peter

P.S. I did a search on the forums, and could not find this question posted. Sorry in advance if I missed it....

yes I did switch because of the same deal 522 and 811.I have had alot of gripes about it.alot of times I turn the 811 on and I either get aquiring satellite signal or I have to do a switch test.I am an installer of directv,so I know my dishes are pointed with great signal strength,its just bugs in the 811.the dtv hdtv boxes are much more reliable in my opinion.The 522 doesnt match up to my old ultimate tv or the tivos for that matter,with no name based recording,just time based.I cant wait for my year contract to be up so I can switch back.Stay with directv!!!!!!!!!!!!

lurch,

According to DISH's website: "On-screen DVR command menus are seamlessly integrated with DISH Network's 9-day electronic program guide to make selecting and recording standard and high definition programming quick and easy." I would think that program guide would have menu of the names...is that not true?

One (BIG) reason why I would like the 522 is that it comes with two remotes (IF/RF) so I can use a TV in another room (hard-wired of course to the 522) to watch the recorded content on the DVR. DirecTV does not have that capibility. I would hate to be stuck to always have to watch in the DVR room.

I do not have an agreement...and if I am not satisfied with the service/equipment, all I have to do is to return the equipment (they even send pre-paid boxes)....has anyone took DISH up on this?

I switched from D* to E* back in 99. Though I didn't have HD back then, I can tell you without a doubt that I was happy about the switch and have never looked back.

I currently have a 508 and an 811. The DVR functions of the 508 and 522 should work similarly. Basically, you can schedule recordings in 3 different ways.

1- Easiest- you can open the guide, tune the guide to the channel you want and then select the program you want to record. It will prompt you for info, such as, do you want to record to PVR, record to VCR, or just auto tune. The it will ask you if you want to record once, daily, weekly or M-F

2-you can go into your menu, select timers and manually enter channel, time and frequency

3- hit the # key, it brings up a search function, then type in the title of the show you are looking for and hit enter. It will then search the guides for show you are looking for. It will list times and channels that show is on. Just select the one you want and then select your recording options

The problem occurs when the program you want is preempted for something else or if the program guide is incorrect. Meaning that if you have Alias scheduled to record on Sunday @ 9PM EST, on ABC, the 522 will record what ever is on ABC on Sunday night @ 9PM EST, whether it is Alias or not. 98% of the time you will not have problem

As far as the 811, I was one of the first customers to get an 811, I was installed within the first week they were released. While the 811 does have bugs, I think the overall performance outweighs the bugs. I also know that E* will send the fixes through software updates eventually. I think the biggest difference you will find is that D* receivers do not require any kind of D* programming to get your OTA locals. E* will not allow OTA locals on any of their HD receivers without programing from them.

Now, my situation may be different b/c I do not need to necessarily watch HD through my 811, b/c my TV has a built in HD tuner, so I can watch my HD locals through my Mitsu.

The E* OTA tuner-receivers just need to be pointed at a satellite, not necessarily have programming. You need to get the receiver past the "Acquire Sat" screen to use the OTA tuner.

Well...the install went okay (actually helped the guy out with a lot of stuff....a happy installer is a motivated one).

I now have a problem with the 811 and my Mits (a 4:3 HDTV -VS60805-). Despite the format choice in the 811 menu (16:9, 4x3#1, 4x3#2), I still get bars on the sides and the picture is squeezed. If I hit the format button on the remote, it does "stretch" the picture...BUT...I can never get the HD channels to give me the letterbox bars (remember, I have a 4:3 TV).

My thoughts: 5 years ago when I got the RCA DTC100, I seem to remember that it was necessary to go into the service menu to "correct" what the receiver was sending it (I can't remember what it was now)...but is that my problem? Any other ideas? :mad:

what is the software version on the system info screen. Maybe your 811 does not have the latest software

I think you should have software version 263. If you have that software version, you should see 5 different aspect ratios when you hit that format button.

Could also be that your local stations were showing the program in a cropped format and not widescreen

Finally, have you tried to change the format on your TV itself

peteranton said:
Well...the install went okay (actually helped the guy out with a lot of stuff....a happy installer is a motivated one).

I now have a problem with the 811 and my Mits (a 4:3 HDTV -VS60805-). Despite the format choice in the 811 menu (16:9, 4x3#1, 4x3#2), I still get bars on the sides and the picture is squeezed. If I hit the format button on the remote, it does "stretch" the picture...BUT...I can never get the HD channels to give me the letterbox bars (remember, I have a 4:3 TV).

My thoughts: 5 years ago when I got the RCA DTC100, I seem to remember that it was necessary to go into the service menu to "correct" what the receiver was sending it (I can't remember what it was now)...but is that my problem? Any other ideas? :mad:

Do you have this hooked up to Component or DVI? if so this will be the case bacause the 811 is outputing 1080i. What you need to do is stretch it using the 811' s * on the remote. Most HD TVs stretch modes do not stretch HD material from what I understand. Can you stretch it through the 811?

Yes, WeeJavaDude, I can stretch...however, it seems back a**wards. I thought that all true HD content (except for older upconverted material) were broadcast in 16:9 format. With D*, all I had to do is change between formats 4:3 (normal SD and cropped sides HD) to 16:9 (side bars SD and letterbox HD) for my 4:3 TV.

Does DISH do something different than DirecTV to HBOHD to make me have to hit "stretch?" And the zooming formats only squeeze the picture again....not like my DVD player which just crops the sides.

My set is 1080i and is hooked up to component, with the 811 @1080i

HDTV Rookie....the Mits is always set to 16:9 (I always did the format change on the receiver).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)