Silly Newbie Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

loopup2u

Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I have been reading these forums for a number of years now and find them very helpful. First time I have had to ask a question that search could not answer for me :)

OK, I was watching the charlie chat last night and something he said made me question something that I had never paid any attention to before. I am on a HD package and have a VIP622. When I browse in HD only, I notice that most of my channels are in their normal postions 1-20ish local channels then most other HD from channels 100-400 ish. But ther also Duplicate HD channels up in the 5000ish channel range.

Here is my question, is one of those channel groups in MPEG2 and the other in MPEG4? If that is the case, which ones are the MPEG4?

And here is a question just for verification, the MPEG channels should look a bit better, right?

Thanks

Hi Loopup2u.

Most of the HD channels actually "live" on:
- the 5300 channel block for Dish Latino Max + HD subscribers
- The 5500 block for Alaska and Hawaii HD subscribers
- The 9400 block for ATxxx+HD and HD only subscribers.

The 5300 block and 9400 block channels are actually mirrors of each other. This means that the video stream carrying TNT HD is the exact same but assined to a 5300 range channel and a 9400 range channel so there is only one channel's worth of bandwidth used.

The 5500 range channels are duplicate feeds on the Alaska and Hawaii spot beams.

These channels have a little line of code on them that tells the receivers to map these video feeds to their standard definition counterparts. So for example TNT HD on channel 9420 for those of us with AT100+HD Essentials is mapped to channel 138 as well. So our receivers show two channel 138s. One says HD, the other doesn't.

This has nothing to do with MPEG2 or MPEG 4. It is just a way for most people who would never think to go away from the 100-300 channel range to find their HD channels.

There are a few exceptions. WFN, MGM and Smithsonian live on the 300 channel range. They are missing from the 9400 range which sucks for those of us that hate to block out SD channels or set up special guide lists to just peruse the HD channels. But that is the way it is.

Hope this helps.

Take a look at Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial) to see all the different occurances of the HD channels.

See ya
Tony

I forgot to mention the 4000 channel range, but no one knows who these channels are there for. :)

A few terms. As always the terms change meaning, but this is the way most people talk about these:

Mirrored - One video feed which is placed in the EPG on more than one channel. BY THE UPLINK FACILITY. The EPG is sent this way. (TNT HD is mirrored on channels 4138, 5353 and 9420. There is only one video stream on the same satellite on the same transponder. That video feed is linked to all three channel numbers)

Mapped - The channel is uplinked with a tag that tells the receiver to duplicate the channel to a certain channel number. The EPG from the satellite does NOT have that particular video feed on that channel. (TNT HD is MAPPED down to channel 138. The receiver sees the tag on a different channel number and creates a new listing on the EPG.) You can map a mirrored channel. You cannot mirror a mapped channel. :)

Duplicated - When the same video stream is uplinked from the uplink center to more than one transponder on a satellite or to several satellites. This takes up additional bandwidth. (TNT HD is uplinked to 110° transponder 7 for channels 4138, 5353 and 9420. It is also uplinked to 110° transponder 27 spot 46 for Alaska subscribers and transponder 27 spot 47 for Hawaii subscribers on channel 5501.) Though many people call this "mirroring", it is not. It is complete duplication of the signal.

BTW for those that do not know - EPG=Electronic Program Guide.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)