Simple wiring question...

RobertsD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Layton, UT
Hi guys, great boards :)

Anyways, I am pretty new to Dish/Satellite TV(1 1/2 months) and have a question.

I currently have one satellite feed going to my 811, but I will be replacing the 811 with a 942. Since the 942 needs two satellite feeds, will another line need to be run, or can I just use a simple splitter, and split the single feed into both tuners of the 942?

I don't know much about the hardware that I have, other then I have a Dish 1000, and in the System Info screen, it says device: DPP-Twin-1.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

RobertsD

RobertsD said:
In system info, under devcie it says DPP-Twin-1.

So the one I linked to at radio shack will not work? I would much rather just go out and buy it at a store then order it online.
Nope it looks like a regular splitter,

One non-tech to another, the DPP technology, as i understand it, allows 2 signals on 1 cable, the seperator seperates those 2 signals and sends 1 to each tuner as opposed to a splitter that just sends signals to 2 places, the tuners dont know what to do with this.
Well that's my non-technical description anyway :D

Last edited:
Ok, I'll get the DPP Seperator, thanks for your guys help.

Oh, one last question, this will still work even though the installer has already put some kind of seperator on the line going into the 811 for the OTA signal right? Or does that make it much more complicated?

So to shorten my question, I'll be able to just put the DPP seperator after the SAT/OTA seperator right?

RobertsD said:
I currently have one satellite feed going to my 811, but I will be replacing the 811 with a 942.

Are you sure Dish will activate your used 942 when you get it??

fred

He put a diplexer there, not a separator. Yes, between the diplexer and the STB.

And yes, Dish will activate the 942, just not for new HD programming. If you have the HD pack now and your 811 is still active, the 942 will likely display the same programming you get today. You can probably count on about a year of HD on the 942. After that, all HD is expected to move to MPEG-4 and the 942 won't work for that. But it'll still work for SD. Until that moves to MPEG-4, probably at least 2 or 3 years away.

If you deactivate your 811 before installing the 942, you'll probably lose all HD reception. If you've dropped the HD pack from your 811, you can't add any HD now. You'll have to get an MPEG-4 receiver. But then the 811 & 942 might receive the HD still broadcast in MPEG-2 (without "MPEG-4 headers"). Might want to keep both receivers active for a month, just to make sure you keep the HD. You do understand you'll have to call Dish to activate the 942, just plugging it in won't work. Make sure there's no outstanding balance on the 942 and that there is a current card.

However, it is possible, if Dish wished, for them to block any newly added 942/811/other old model receiver from receiving any HD at all, just as they block AT 60 customers from getting AT 180 programming.

I've talked to a Dish Tech and he said that If I have the 811 activated when I call to activate the 942, I will be able to recieve the old HD pack(which I am subscribed to) on the 942. In four months, I will likely cancel the HD pack(since it will begin to cost $9.99), and then just use the 9941 for SD and OTA HD. So as long as all the SD is still in MPEG2, I'l be fine. And I have a feeling that it is going to be a long time before they switch that to MPEG4.

I have checked with Dish, and there are no problems with the 942(no balance, etc), he said that there will be no problems activating it on my account.

navychop, thanks for answering my question. So it goes between the diplexor that seperates the OTA signal, and the Satellite signal, and the 941 reciever.

RobertsD said:
What does that do different then say a splitter like this one?
The DPP Separator sends each of the 2 DishPro frequency bands to a separate tuner input. It's not a simple splitter that sends the same thing to both outputs but rather a diplexer that works with DP frequencies. The other diplexer mentioned in this thread separates OTA and satellite frequencies.

DP and DPP explained: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217