Simplest upgrade to HD?

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
I want to get an HD-DVR but am very happy with my Family Pack + Locals and on a tight budget. No OTA or cable signal available.

I have a 500 twin dish now and my locals in HD are on the satellites that I currently receive signal from.

There has been mail from Dish offering to upgrade me for "free" but sadly the CSRs that I've talked to are completely clueless about the fact that Dish even carries my Seattle locals in HD.

Do I need to keep smiling and dialing until I find someone who knows?

Would anyone from this esteemed body care to weigh in on what it should cost to get a 622/722 on my account (I'd drop a 501 to make room)?:confused:

l'd guess the receiver would run you $100 (622)-$150 (722) unless you extend your commitment for 24 months then it would be free. They may have to install a new dish. I doubt they would charge you for that if you got a new commitment, but if you didn't that would run you $99 also. That was what was cousin was looking at when he looked into it. If he upgraded to HD and got a new 24 month commitment they would do the receiver and dish for free.

Yea, I'm OK with the 24 month thing and my existing dish gets the satellites I need but the CSRs so far insist on new HD programming.

I actually don't want any new HD programming. I just want my network feeds in HD, which is supposed (as I understand it) to be supplied at no extra charge because of my subscription to locals.

Well did an on-line chat and got my questions answered.

For a 24 month contract I can get a 622 for free BUT I have to take their install. That's a dealbreaker from the WAF but was advised to call in to see if I could get that waived. I'm guessing that he wouldn't have suggested it if it wasn't possible.

We'll see.

I was in a similar situation. I wanted to do the installation myself, since I had unique switchgear (DPP32) and other requirements I didn't care to enumerate. I wanted 2 VIP 612 receivers for the cost of shipping ($25/ea), but the "shipped" option was not available according to the Dishn' It Up options matrix. Regular CSRs insisted that (1) they had no VIP612s in inventory and (2) I had to pay for installation.

So I appealed to Executive Resolutions (the ceo at echostar.com address) and they made it happen.

Last edited:
Say what

Well did an on-line chat and got my questions answered.

For a 24 month contract I can get a 622 for free BUT I have to take their install. That's a dealbreaker from the WAF but was advised to call in to see if I could get that waived. I'm guessing that he wouldn't have suggested it if it wasn't possible.

We'll see.

What does an install have to do with wife acceptance factor? All they will be doing is changing out a dish on the same pole you have already. Then they will switch the DVR inside. The 1000.2 dish is only slightly larger than the 500 you have now

WAF problem with install?

If this was just about swapping out the dish outside, it might fly.

We had a bad situation with an installer in the house when i wasn't able to be around. No real harm done, but the general rule isince is that if I can't install it, we'll live without it.

I was in a similar situation. I wanted to do the installation myself, since I had unique switchgear (DPP32) and other requirements I didn't care to enumerate. I wanted 2 VIP 612 receivers for the cost of shipping ($25/ea), but the "shipped" option was not available according to the Dishn' It Up options matrix. Regular CSRs insisted that (1) they had no VIP612s in inventory and (2) I had to pay for installation.

So I appealed to Executive Resolutions (the ceo at echostar.com address) and they made it happen.

Did they send a new dish as well as the receivers?

Thanks,

Bill

TheKrell -

OK, that sounds like me. My HD locals are on one of the two satellites that I already take signal from on my 500. if they want to send me a 1000.2, I'll put it up but would be just as happy without it.

Just confirming that email is CEO[at]echostar[dot]com?

Yes, that's the correct address, though the one I used had all lowercase letters.

Now that I've reviewed your OP, I see you have the Family Pack. So there is not just one issue here (shipped rather than installed), but two (adding HD to Family). Sorry for my oversight earlier. I have no idea if you can overcome both issues at once.

So far as I can see, you can't add the $10 HD upgrade to the Family Pack. It must be added to a Classic Bronze, Silver, or Gold package. Now I see you can (at least as a new customer) get a break on Classic Bronze that makes it only $24.99 for a year. So if you can get that same deal, then maybe you can still get what you want for the price you are now paying (plus $10 HD add-on plus DVR fee).

Not only did I have a valid satellite dish configuration for HD for my area, but also I had what is now called the Classic Gold package. I also had a 501 and a 625 and the DVR Advantage package. So I only needed to appeal to the ceo address to get the 2 612's shipped rather than installed. You may see a cascade of bad events when you upgrade: you may be required to take Bronze in order to add HD, and then you may be required to get a 1000.2 in order to get the Bronze HD channels you don't even want!

And did I mention the dratted DVR fee?

Actually, neither the Chat CSR nor the most recent telephone CSR gave me any guff about extra charges. HD locals is supposed to be included with local channel subscription.

I did get promised a $5 DISCOUNT because I would go from having 2 dvrs to only one.

I send the email off to CEO. How long did it take and how did they let you know that they relented?

Thanks, again for your insight.

Bill

I send the email off to CEO. How long did it take and how did they let you know that they relented?
A nice fellow from executive resolutions returned my email with a phone call the very next day. He left his direct-dial phone number on my answering machine. Other than playing telephone tag for a few days, eveything went very smoothly. Oh yes! He accidentally shipped me 2 VIP622's by mistake. I think those arrived within a week of my first email.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)