Simulating "jump back" after Fast Forwarding

RobbinM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I may be the last person here to think of this but I've found it so useful that I have to post it.

I've just come back to Dish after a two year stint with Directv (and a 2 month stint with Uverse). During that time I got use to the DVR automatically jumping back a bit after I transition from Fast Forward to Play. During my prior Dish years, I would try to time hitting play at the right time and use the Skip Back button if I missed.

I've realized that if I press Skip Back while in Fast Forward the DVR will skip back and then resuming playing. This simulates the behavior I got used to with Directv. Now I can just watch for the beginning of my show rather than trying to guess when the last commercial is about to end. I find this to be much easier to do.

Bingo, I never understood why anybody would use Fast forward when trying to skip the commercial breaks of Network TV. My buddy's wife refuses to use the Skip forward button, instead fast forwarding, only to go past when the show comes back from Commercial, then fiddling around to get back to the programs restart. Dish's and DirecTV's DVR's both have the skip forward option, which is absolutely BRILLIANT. I hate Fast Forward, the only time I might use it is if I intend to blast through 30 to 45 minute stretches.

Our Local Cable companies LAME DVR doesn't have any skip forward or skip back feature. For me this is a NON STARTER, besides the anemic 30 hours of HD recording.

John

Yep. Can't believe people would even consider FF for skipping commercials, when you have the skip forward 30s button. So easy to hit the SF button til you see the show, then a skip back 10s & done.

I've realized that if I press Skip Back while in Fast Forward the DVR will skip back and then resuming playing.
Just repeating what others have said, why use fast-forward ? Commercials are almost always a multiple of (30) seconds. The skip-forward button moves ahead (30) seconds at a time. When a commercial comes up, you can safely hit that (4) times. If necessary, hit it (2) or (4) or more :( times. Depending on your hesitation at the start of commercials or in between button presses, you can either end up right at the re-start of a show after commercials or you might have to skip-back once. I can generally hit SF (8) times and not even HEAR the commercials ! :D

Yeah, I'm usually not that fast with the remote (paticularly in the dark) and hear a short BLAST of loud commercials before I get it right. Too bad the receivers don't come with an Ad Detective like VideoReDo. ;)

When my younger son was about 4, he asked why he couldn't "fas fowad" over the commercials. I said "Well baby, that's live TV. You can't skip that." He quickly asked "Well, why can I go back?". :D

Even my 3 year old now will jump back 2 or 3 minutes into a live show (cartoon) and watch that again and then jump over the commercials when she sees them again.

Kids are amazing nowadays. :)

When my younger son was about 4, he asked why he couldn't "fas fowad" over the commercials. I said "Well baby, that's live TV. You can't skip that." He quickly asked "Well, why can I go back?". :D

Even my 3 year old now will jump back 2 or 3 minutes into a live show (cartoon) and watch that again and then jump over the commercials when she sees them again.

Kids are amazing nowadays. :)

Guard your credit cards VERY carefully! :p

I'm unusual I guess -- I've always liked Fast Forward better. I'm too lazy to push the button 5 or 6 times. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)