Since Dish Network got HD TV or 61.5 it overrides 110 & 119

kraifish

Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
MN
I'm new here and know just enough to be dangerous about Dish and Satellites. About 2 years ago something happened at Dish Network that the 61.5 sat overpowers the 110 & 119? It takes me forever to get to 110 and 119. It keeps wanting to pick up 61.5. Is there some thing I can do to get 110 & 119 quicker?

I'm new here and know just enough to be dangerous about Dish and Satellites. About 2 years ago something happened at Dish Network that the 61.5 sat overpowers the 110 & 119? It takes me forever to get to 110 and 119. It keeps wanting to pick up 61.5. Is there some thing I can do to get 110 & 119 quicker?

What? What receiver do you have?

Lets start with this. The Sat system you have is not one that is currently being advised by Dish. You are mixing two different sat systems. (They are called ARCS)

That does not mean you can't use it. If you have HD you are almost for sure not getting all the HD channels. If you only get SD, you may be getting all the channels, and it does not matter if it comes from 61.5 or 119 or 110. If a channel is on two satellites, the receiver will pick one. If a program is on one satellite, the receiver will pick that satellite.

Not sure what you are doing.. You can't pick the satellites. The receiver picks the satellites depending on which channel you are watching.. THere is no way for you to "CHOOSE" satellites. After your receiver learns which satellites it can see, everything else is done internally. Some channels come from one satellite.. Some come from another. The receiver makes that choice.. Not you..

Mark,

You're right it does pick. What I'm saying is, I have a Tracvision. Not sure what model? I'm using an old Dish Network receiver. I go to menu and put in lets say 110 sat and put in a transponder number that has work ed before. Usually when it locks in, it goes to 1 of 5 then 2 then 3 and then the bars come up and I get reception or channels for 110. Now it goes through that same process and instead of going to 110, itgoes to 61.5 which I don't get any channels on? It never used to do this before?

I experienced the mixing of the EA and WA last year. I canceled the sports pack (just in time i realized later) and ordered platinum HD. I got only ESPN HD and Encore HD. I was told that I had the dish pointed at the WA and needed to be upgraded. Paid to have it done, and found out that the tech put me on 110, 119, and 61.5. Had the 9900 channels to say congrats for being pointed at both sats. Through this board (before being a member) I find out that Dish was supposed to be giving me EPIX, E! HD, and the list goes on for about 10 to 15 HD channels. I call again, and was told the issue and was going to be charged to do it again. I was on my lunch break at work and basically to them to bug off with their fee. About a month goes by and I see through here and wikipedia that Dish launches EPIX2, and I believe Shorts HD to existing platinum HD customers. Now I'm furious. I get on with a CSR and don't quit until Dish agrees to replace my existing system with one that carries every channel that I am paying for. They want me to pay for the upgrade, I refuse citing that I already paid and their licensed tech didn't do the correct upgrade.

Basically, all I'm saying is that this is not as uncommon as one would think. Whoever said to look into either EA or WA and not a mix is dead on. First, my system did have that problem and only got resolved when I upgraded properly. Second, look into what you get through your packages, especially if you subscribe to platinum HD, because I bet you aren't getting everything that Dish is charging for.

What model receiver is it. What programming package do you have?
Well the 61.5 is MPEG 4 and by the sound of it, he doesn't have a VIP receiver, so I can't understand how the receiver is even able to pick up a channel off the 61.5.

This makes no sence!

Why do you have a Wing Dish at the 61.5 when you obviously don't have HD?

I don't have the receiver model because I'm not home, but I can say it is about 10 years old. O believe I have the 160 channel package? I think a notch up from basic?

I use this for camping. Its worked for 5 years and now it keeps going to 61.5. I haven't changed s thing. Something different about dish in the last 2 years

If this is your only receiver, then yes, you can disconnect 61.5 because the recevier is not capable of receiving 61.5 programming. But since you have 61.5 I have to think you have other receviers that rely on it. And this may be why you were given a mixed set-up. If you are using it for camping you almost certainly can not be seeing 110/119 AND 61.5. So for camping, it should still work for 110/119.

I have 3 more receivers at home, but I don't have an Hd tv. So I really don't need 61.5 I guess? Do you just cal to get it disconnected? Sorry guys I still only have the fat tvs.

Tampa8 said:
If this is your only receiver, then yes, you can disconnect 61.5 because the recevier is not capable of receiving 61.5 programming. But since you have 61.5 I have to think you have other receviers that rely on it. And this may be why you were given a mixed set-up. If you are using it for camping you almost certainly can not be seeing 110/119 AND 61.5. So for camping, it should still work for 110/119.

The best thing to do is hook up a dish and get 119 and 110 and run a chk sw test to get rid of 61.5 in the matrix. 61.5 is not all MPEG 4. International customers sometimes only have that sat with a 311. Now since its all moving off that bird of course it will change.

Mark,

You're right it does pick. What I'm saying is, I have a Tracvision. Not sure what model? I'm using an old Dish Network receiver. I go to menu and put in lets say 110 sat and put in a transponder number that has work ed before. Usually when it locks in, it goes to 1 of 5 then 2 then 3 and then the bars come up and I get reception or channels for 110. Now it goes through that same process and instead of going to 110, itgoes to 61.5 which I don't get any channels on? It never used to do this before?
He's not talking about a regular install at his home. His TracVision mobile sat antenna on his RV is locking itself on 61.5 when it should be finding 110/119, where the core SD stuff is. I'd get with the TracVision people and maybe they can help. I've heard of them, but never had one.

Sounds to me like maybe the dish itself is not shifting its view. I know on some dishes, resetting the dish itself (power cycle) while in point dish and then running a check switch can help, but you have a dish I have never had the joy of knowing. I agree that going to the manufacturer to see why it is not "shifting" where it looks for signal would be the best bet. From what I could find in a short amount of looking, there is a master selector switch (required for any setup with 2 or more orbitals) that may not be mastering or selecting, or even switching. :D

As far as an upgrade, is your dish installed on a some sort of mobile vehicle? If so, a retailer would be your best bet. If you are looking for a "shipped receiver" option, I could help you out.

Good luck on this, and let us know what the issue with the auto-dish is should you find it.

Last edited:
I agree with eurosport. Sounds like the Tracvision unit may have an issue or may need a software update if possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)