Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

Mobile/Pensacola area. WEAR(ABC) WFG:mad:CW) are sister stations owned by Sinclair. WPMI(NBC) is in Mobile. Another sister station owned by Sinclair.
I would've thought that the FCC considers Mobile/Pensacola as a single TV market and I thought they didn't allow one company to own more than one of the four top-rated stations in any single market. Surely WEAR and WPMI are both top-4.

I always thought Tennis was owned by NBC/UNIVERSAL, anyhow doesn't affect me, I've never watched the Tennis Channel and the only other local channel is an ABC station I don't sub to locals anymore so this doesn't affect me. What about Comet TV? But I have the STIRR App on my Roku. And not interested in RSN's bad enough I pay for ESPN.

I think Sinclair is on weak financial footing, and Charlie smells BLOOD!

Side note: People actually WATCH tennis? Gee, it isn’t as exciting as curling! :devilish

I resemble that remark
I was in the tennis business for over 30 years.
I watched the Tennis Channel on a regular basis.
When it was taken off of YTTV last year, I never missed it.
I now watch less tennis, baseball and basketball since the loss of this channel and my RSN.

BIG loss for DISH:

So much for the return of RSN's to DISH...
What, again?

fight.gif

Sinclair threatens to remove local channels from DISH customers

Sinclair demands nearly a billion dollars in fees and carriage of unpopular and unrelated programming

Broadcaster prioritizes greed, uses customers as pawns in negotiations

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., August 9, 2021 – Sinclair Broadcast Group, the country’s third largest local channel owner, is threatening to black out DISH customers’ access to 144 local channels across 86 markets nationwide. The media conglomerate is trying to use its market power to demand an unreasonable fee increase, using millions of Americans as pawns in its negotiations.

“Sinclair is demanding DISH pay nearly a billion dollars in fees for their television channels — a massive increase from what we pay for these same channels today despite declining viewership,” said Brian Neylon, Group President, DISH TV. “Sinclair is making these outrageous demands, turning its back on its public interest obligation and putting customers in the middle of its negotiations.”

Over the past couple of years, Sinclair spent billions of dollars to acquire new channels, and now they’re demanding a massive increase because they want DISH customers to foot the bill. In addition, Sinclair is also demanding that DISH carry other programming that many customers don’t watch.

“Sinclair is threatening to remove its channels from DISH customers if its unreasonable demands are not met,” said Neylon. “This negotiating tactic is used to upset our customers and intimidate us into accepting outrageous contract terms — a tactic the channel owner uses frequently.”

“There is still time to reach an agreement with Sinclair that is fair for all parties involved, especially our customers,” added Neylon. “We will continue to fight on behalf of DISH customers to keep TV bills as low as possible. Despite the fact that Sinclair has walked away from the table multiple times, we stand ready to negotiate in good faith.”

DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Or do what I would certainly do if I wanted to stay with DISH - "MOVE" ... Of course if you want to switch from DISH I guess this is a reason.
I'm 71 years old and have lived in the same place since 1987. So if it came down to me moving and leaving Dish, that LNB and my Hopper and Joey will get packed up and they will be moving.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Check out the website of your local Sink-Clair (my spelling) station. Sink-Clair has posted its usual whiny release about dish's failure (or refusal) to make nice. komonews.com in Seattle has the statement linked on the front page. As usual, Sink-Clair urges you to switch providers (in particular to directv) but won't encourage antenna reception for obvious reasons.

I would've thought that the FCC considers Mobile/Pensacola as a single TV market and I thought they didn't allow one company to own more than one of the four top-rated stations in any single market. Surely WEAR and WPMI are both top-4.
Mobile/Pensacola are 57th in the rankings of 210. Nielsen DMA Rankings 2020 - MediaTracks Communications I got a list from an article from Cord Cutters and there are numerous areas that Sinclair owns more than two stations. DISH Will Likely Lose 112 Channels Including Locals & Tennis Channel Next Week | Cord Cutters News

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry I took it the wrong way humor.

With a little ingenuity you can get a different set of locals for now. You may be in the path of even ones on a spot beam. But lets see if Sinclair really wants to lose the income for any length of time or at all.

This will be it for me with Dish if this comes to pass. I'm losing three stations this time(ABC, CW and NBC):mad:
Ok I have a correction to make:facepalm I will be losing only two stations after looking up WPMI(NBC). It is owned by Deerfield Media but operated by Sinclair. I was wondering when I was watching the local news on the ABC station and that Dish announcement to see channel 37 wasn't on WMPI. So I went to the Wiki and found this if you want to read it. Deerfield Media - Wikipedia I learned a new word today also duopolies .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)