Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

Not sure how accurate this guy is with his sources, but I'll leave this here:

Dish and Sinclair Broadcast Group are close to a carriage deal which will likely include both the Sinclair-owned 112 local channels and the 19 Bally Sports regional sports networks (RSNs), according to a report last night from Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand.
“Sources say the extensions are evidence that a deal is close at hand and likely will include carriage for Sinclair’s Bally Sports RSNs,” Ourand says.
But even if a new deal is signed, Ourand writes that the satcaster may not resume carrying them until shortly before the 2022 Major League Baseball season. The Bally Sports nets have the regional TV rights to dozens of MLB, NHL and NBA teams.
SBJ’s Ourand reports that a new deal for both the Sinclair locals and the sports channels is likely “within the next eight weeks”.

Dish & Sinclair: Close to Deal For Bally Sports? - The TV Answer Man!

Eight weeks = close to an agreement?
Yup, these are not the only negotiations going on . If both parties are happy with the way things are going and know the other channels are not coming until the spring then what's the rush. A lot of things coming up for renewal for DISH by the end of the year.

So obviously there is a sticking point they both feel can be overcome most likely with the RSN's. If we believe the reports it looks like DISH wants the RSN's to kick in at a later date. Surprised Sinclair would consider that but it does allow DISH to save on something like 6 months not paying for the sports and Sinclair gets all their channels on DISH.

I can imagine the negotiations being turned around on Sinclair. They of course want a package deal. DISH says ok, so you want XX for locals and XX for RSN's and we have to take both. We won't pay XX for locals - but we will pay something close to XX for locals if the RSN's don't start till next year. Sinclair could see it as win overall - they get the sports channels on DISH and it might be the only way they can.

Obviously that is made up but just one illustration of why negotiations could take long.

I think it has more to do with the fact if Sinclair can pull off the direct to consumer product in 2022. During one of their quarterly earnings calls, Sinclair said they wanted to go direct to consumer first half of 2022 but some other providers have said they have not signed off on that yet.

Dish has already stated that they don't want to tax all their customers with the RSN's, so I wonder if Sinclair pulls of direct to consumer RSN's then Dish will be offering a-la-carte, which is what they wanted all along. Or, maybe the RSN's get added to all customers at a dirt cheap rate (so Sinclair can say they have however many more million subscribers), but the RSN's only show all the non-live game content and to get the live games, you pay for some "live game" add-on, which in essence you are then opting-in to the higher price.

I am brainstorming here, but seeing that Ourand article about not adding the RSN's until 2022, seeing what Sinclair has already stated about being direct to consumer in the first half of 2022, knowing Dish's stance on the RSN's, and the unknown piece of sports betting tied to these games, I would be absolutely shocked if we see an agreement between Dish/Sinclair that restores the RSN's to the same tiers/setup it was 2 years ago when they were dropped.

I think it has more to do with the fact if Sinclair can pull off the direct to consumer product in 2022. During one of their quarterly earnings calls, Sinclair said they wanted to go direct to consumer first half of 2022 but some other providers have said they have not signed off on that yet.

Dish has already stated that they don't want to tax all their customers with the RSN's, so I wonder if Sinclair pulls of direct to consumer RSN's then Dish will be offering a-la-carte, which is what they wanted all along. Or, maybe the RSN's get added to all customers at a dirt cheap rate (so Sinclair can say they have however many more million subscribers), but the RSN's only show all the non-live game content and to get the live games, you pay for some "live game" add-on, which in essence you are then opting-in to the higher price.

I am brainstorming here, but seeing that Ourand article about not adding the RSN's until 2022, seeing what Sinclair has already stated about being direct to consumer in the first half of 2022, knowing Dish's stance on the RSN's, and the unknown piece of sports betting tied to these games, I would be absolutely shocked if we see an agreement between Dish/Sinclair that restores the RSN's to the same tiers/setup it was 2 years ago when they were dropped.

No argument from me, certainly plausible no question DISH wants A La Carte of some type for RSN's well documented. If DISH can get some kind of A La Carte for them that would monumental.

Why DISH could go back to the standard way would be a Contract is a defined period of time and you have to consider the locals are involved.
To avoid losing the locals, they then look at the contract period and can pay by a significant amount less for the RSN's over the Contract period by not starting for 6 Months into the Contract. Worry about what happens next like always next Contract.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am sorry to revive a recently 'dead' thread.
I have been told the Dish-Sinclair negotiations are over, but the local Sinclair station (KXVO channel 15 in the Omaha market) has pulled a fast one on Dish. Up until about a month ago the OTA and the Dish feed for the CW were OTA:15.1 & Dish: 15, when the contract was settled, for now, in the middle of Sept, KXVO did some shuffling of what channels, KXVO is now using 15.3 (from what I am told, for I can not get OTA signal) for their CW network and put the TBD network on 15.1 and this is the one that Dish is re-transmitting/passing along to me and the guide (Dish: 15) now even shows that with repeats of 'Wipeout', 'Fear Factor', 'Fail Factory' and are all I can view on Dish ch.15, and such during PRIMETIME, and not the CW Primetime shows. I have tried calling Dish and the CSRs do not seem to follow/understand, replying "You are getting the KXVO channel/signal."
I am on the eastern dish arc, and nothing has changed with my set-up in over five years, still with a Hopper 3 and a Joey 2.

Last edited:
Omaha, NE - CW (KXVO)15HD SD
That is how it is listed on https://my.dish.com/upgrades/local with a random zip code I found for Nebraska, so it is either Dish getting the wrong feed delivered as you say, or they haven't updated the guide data. I would call in and say that the channel listing is wrong, CW is on the guide and the video is TBD, and leave it at that. Go into to many details and you will just get the agent(s) more confused. Also trying to get a US agent on the phone might help since most of the foreigners probably don't care/realize that there is a difference between CW and TBD.

I am sorry to revive a recently 'dead' thread.
I have been told the Dish-Sinclair negotiations are over, but the local Sinclair station (KXVO channel 15 in the Omaha market) has pulled a fast one on Dish. Up until about a month ago the OTA and the Dish feed for the CW were OTA:15.1 & Dish: 15, when the contract was settled, for now, in the middle of Sept, KXVO did some shuffling of what channels, KXVO is now using 15.3 (from what I am told, for I can not get OTA signal) for their CW network and put the TBD network on 15.1 and this is the one that Dish is re-transmitting/passing along to me and the guide (Dish: 15) now even shows that with repeats of 'Wipeout', 'Fear Factor', 'Fail Factory' and are all I can view on Dish ch.15, and such during PRIMETIME, and not the CW Primetime shows. I have tried calling Dish and the CSRs do not seem to follow/understand, replying "You are getting the KXVO channel/signal."
I am on the eastern dish arc, and nothing has changed with my set-up in over five years, still with a Hopper 3 and a Joey 2.
This isn't a dead thread yet, Sinclair and Dish are still negotiating.

I know this isn't Dish specific, but there was an article released by John Ourand today - he's one of the trusted people when it comes to media rights and negotiations and breaks a lot of news. This story is about the struggling RSN business, but the part that ties to this thread is about Sinclair. The top media executives as well as executives from the professional sports leagues feel that the Ball Sports RSN's could be headed to bankruptcy. If that is the case, it would appear that Sinclair needs Dish for the RSN part more than Dish needs the RSNs.

Sinclair probably still thinks they have a goldmine on their hands!
I don't think so or they wouldn't continue to extend the negotiations. They're position is untenable and they know it. Don't be surprised if there's a reshuffling of execs at the top of Sinclair. This is the kind of miscalculation that gets CEO's fired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)