Single Wire Multiswitch in general use yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishbd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I am looking at possibly switching to D* but have been partially waiting on the SWM to be released (along with waiting on my E* contract to end :D). I would much prefer to be able to use my existing Dish wiring instead of them having to run another cable all the way from the dish.

Is the SWM being commonly used by D* installers yet, or is it still considered in "beta"?

Thanks in advance!

I asked this exact question yesterday during my installation. I was told by the installer that he had heard of the SWM's, but had not received any for use.

It is out of beta, they are in use in 4 markets only, for certain types of installs only.

No ETA for seing these for most installs. They are developing a new LNB that has the SWM technology built in, so that my be the reason it has not "hit the streets"

I've been waiting since last fall for the SWM to become generally available too. I'd be on the phone to D* right now to upgrade my equipment if it was available. Come on guys, let get these things out to the customer base! :hungry:

Yes, the SWM5 has been dropped. Currently the SWM8 is being targeted to MDU's only. However if you want to buy one on your own someone at DBSTalk reported being able to get one from http://pdisat.com/documents/SAT_catalog_v3.pdf (see page 11).

The new Slimline dish with the builtin SWM8 is supposed to be for the regular customer but no word yet on when it will become available.

What sux is that with the Slimline/SWM some people will need a professional install, where with a SWM it's simply a matter of splicing into some cables in the attic. :(

I think pro install is here to stay for 99.9% of customers. few can aim the slimline without training or acquired knowledge (like here)

SWM makes using existing or prewired situations much easier. no more drilling in 10 year old homes.

Yeah, I'm pretty much stuck until SWM becomes "mainstream" with D*. I did another, more thorough review in my attic yesterday, and it is quite clear that this house was wired well before the construction was completed. The areas where additional cables would need to be run is all but unreachable. I currently have E* and am using their SWM and everything works just fine. So once D* can offer this, I am ready to switch.

All these places are greymarket. I've ready of a guy who was able to get one by telling a "real" supplier he was a small MDU operator. I think he paid something like $218 for the whole thing...SWM and PS.

Have you vasoline ready dealing with the above mentioned places. :)

So I guess I'm going to rant here, but why is this such a difficult thing for D* to have a SWM? E* has been using one for who knows how long and everything with it works great. Just wondering if there is something that is really different about that signal that D* sends through the cable vs. what E* sends through? (And no, more HD & MLB EI is not the answer I'm looking for, but it is the reason I want to switch! :))

They've been in testing for over a year. I was told in Oct 06 that they would be available "soon". I had to deactivate a D11 to get a 2nd line to the new HR20 with the full intent of reactivating it when the (as it was known back then) FTM was available.

I finally got fed up and paid the $49 for another drop. The fact that they are not releasing the SWM to single family home owners and trying to get them to go with the Slimline SWM is absurd. They're wanting to concentrate on the MDU market instead of the average Joe who helped get them where they are today.

They are using them for home installs in 4 markets, they just haven't ramped up production at this point. They are working on getting the SWM technology in the LNB itself. That could be cheaper and more convient for installers and customers.

I look at it like this (and not just because I have one) - SWM is directv recreating the wheel so to speak (how they install dishes). If you're going to recreate the wheel - do it damn well, and don't do it very often.

I can see them waiting until they feel they have the perfect solution before ramping production.

Imagine if they had that mentality with the HR20 launch. We would still be waiting... Although it is 1000 times better than a year ago :)

That could be cheaper and more convient for installers and customers.

You're looking at a $79 install fee, plus the cost of the dish, plus the time taken that you could be doing other stuff to stay home waiting for them. I don't see how that can be cheaper or more convenient.

With a SWM, I can just go into the attic, cut the four drops and splice in the SWM-8. 30 minutes and maybe $8 in connectors.

I was refering to new installs gerring Swm lnbs up the road. Rarely would smeone pay a $79 serivce call as you describe unless something is not working. For new installs it cuts down time, eliminates external switches and puts less holes in customers homes.

New installs, sure. But what about people who already have a dish or legacy equipment? Unless we wait another (insert timeframe here) for the SWM, we will have to buy the new dish and most will have to fork out the $79 for an install.

Anyone know if these stackers picture quality is as good as two separate cables? I will be using DTV HD DVR and slimline dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.