Sirius on Dish? Who cares!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I don't understand all this excitement about Sirius radio on Dish. Now I suppose to convert my expensive TV set to be a radio tuner? Sorry, but I thought TVs have another function.
Charlie, give us some good HDTV channels!

Conjuror said:
I don't understand all this excitement about Sirius radio on Dish. Now I suppose to convert my expensive TV set to be a radio tuner? Sorry, but I thought TVs have another function.

It's amusing to me that someone would conclude that nobody cares about music channels (Personally I love to listen to music coming through my home theater system) and then imply that what most people do care about is HD.

Only 10% of the households in the country are HD ready. That means that probably 90% of the country could care less about HD. Thanks for the SIRIUS channels Charlie, now lets get some more quality SD programming that the other 90% of us care about!

I personally like the Sirius channels...there's some good stuff on there.
I don't have a HDTV, so could care less about how much Dish, Voom, Direct, or any other provider adds.

Conjuror said:
I don't understand all this excitement about HDTV on Dish. Now I'm supposed to go out and buy a new TV to watch a limited number of true HD programs? Sorry, but I think my current TV is good enough.

Charlie, dump the HD and give us some good SD channels!

;)

Ditto Mike and Iceburg ! I would like to have HD but the pocketbook dictates otherwise for now. I have the audio ran indipendent of my tv so if I wanted to I could cut the tv off.

I for one don't care about listening to music thru my dish.
I listened to sirius maybe twice since they started offering it.

To each his own some people like good background music $5 for an extra receiver connected to and audio amplifier and Sirius 40+ channels is a good deal for those that like it. For those that don't their bill didn't increase, no one is forcing them to listen, and little bandwidth was lost for this benefit.

To each his own.
Some people like listening to it. Cookie for them.
Others don't. No big whoop. Not costing anything more in dollars or bandwidth.

Gotta put a little something in for everybody

We've had digital music channels on cable and DBS for years and Sirius should mean exactly what to me?

UPGRADE THE PREMIUM OFFERINGS and I'll buy Dish tomorrow now that CT locals are on. Right now, Cox Digital Cable still has them beat for programming that I actually watch. Locals are basically just for my wife and mother-in-law who watch those reality and decorating shows.

7300 said:
I listen to them through my home theater system. I like'em.

Ditto...much better than listening to the same few songs randomly placed among the constant commercials of the regular radio stations in the area!

yellowdragon said:
I enjoy recording some of the music channels to minidisc and listening while exercising, working at home, etc... Sirius just gave me more options... :)

Does that work well?

Anyone recording the music channels to mp3, or WMV format? If so, does it sound ok? Is that legal to do?

I am not a big music listener but since Sirius came on I listen to it a whole lot more, sure beats Muzak all to heck.

The hell with music, HD, SD, and color, too! I want fuzzy locals in black & white to watch on my tube television! Good enough for me!:eek:

Well, IMHO having Sirius music on dbs is a big YAWN. As far as the bandwidth question, those 60 channels are actually taking up more space than you might think. Add in the 50 existing music stations, (or at least the 30 stereo ones) & E* is burning quite a bit of bandwidth that could be put to much better use. (but that's nothing new for them) By my calculations, those 60 channels of Sirius could instead be used for at least a DOZEN new SD video channels!

First of all, if I'm listening to music at home, I do NOT WANT or NEED a DJ chattering between songs - THAT'S why there is the song titles on the TV screen. I want JUST music - NOTHING ELSE. If I wanted a DJ, I'd turn on a FREE radio. As far as sound quality goes, it is obviously better than those mono Muzak channels, but I think the stereo ones that come directly from CD's actually sound better.

For myself, I'm perfectly happy with Music Choice on D* - the only thing I'd change on it, is if they would add "Party Favorites" & "Easy Vocals" to the residential lineup. (they already exist on the commercial packages, so all they need to do is turn them on - most cable co. that carry MC carry these already) Even the 30 CD channels on DISH is not that bad, although they do need some work on the lineup & song quantity - if they had just added a couple more formats, it might even be able to compete with MC or DMX.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)